DIY Plywood 1200Gallon -Officialy Started

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
How thick does the acrylic have to be on a tank that size?
Check out the sticky area in this section. I'm planning (dreaming about) a huge concrete build and there's a neat "thickness" calculator in the sticky area for glass and acrylic. Just put in hight and length and it will spit out the thickness required.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Im trying to keep the temperature in the room pretty much the same as in the tank, so i dont think it will be that much of a problem. I do have a humidifier that i can put to use tho. I have 2 drains in the floor, so its no problem having the humidifier constant on. The tank is now pretty much crystal clear already. I do run pretty much filters on the tank atm tho,2x fx5, 1 eheim 2080, 1 powerbead 85(same as ultima 2 filters, 12000l\h).And a internal eheim powerhead for air.
Hi Tor, do you have to heat the tank much?
How does heating the room work with maintaining the tanks temperature?

Cheers.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Hey all, bin a while... Everything is working nice! I use 700w to heat this tank to 27 degrees. The Room itselfe stays at 26-27, so that does help alot. The last week ive bin running without heaters, and the temperature has landed on 25 degrees.. A little low, but they can handle it, many people keep rays in that temperature..

The drip system works well, i have not measured yet, but i hope its holding up good.. I will take measures this week, to see how the nitrates are going.. Worst case scenario, drip more?:) The drip system is so easy. I only run 1 head now, and you can vary it from 1 liter to 20 liter an houre. If you want more, just ad more heads.

Heres a video of the tank, i forgot to post it in here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCWW...DvjVQa1PpcFO1F8xqF8_cKRdjpOQOraCjeML1arOicGU=

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Grats on a beautiful tank Tor, I am impressed. Love the discus as well! Hopefully it will last you for years to come :) One question do you keep it covered, if not how's the humidity, notice any condensation on windows or whatnot?

-Scott

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I do not keep it covered atm, and i dont think i will. I keep the temperature pretty much the same in the room, so the condense stays at a minimal. I also have a dehumidifyer + a fan that runs 24\7. I did see concensation on the windows before i added the dehumidifyer, but not much.. Just on the lover 5cm of the windows.. The discus will probably go in the big tank as i need the space for my hystrix :)

Steve Manly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2012
london UK
nice tank dude.

my only concerns are the base. none of the upright supports are at antagonist (T) angles. with the constant undulation of the water and the high room temp i dont see a 5 year life span.

reading through the whole post i believe that may have caused the initial leak nightmare along with the use of osb

super jealous of the geophagus.. theyd cost about 200 each in the UK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store