Oct 13, 2014
Cool and yea hope all goes well and as planned

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Been walking around with ideas starting to shape up.
This morning I thought about the pump and the first lesson in clean water: "A pump chops everything up into small pieces that are very hard to filter out afterwards"
So with that in mind I looked at the plan again and now looking to place the pump at the very last section of the filter, so that it pumps clean, filtered water back into the pond.
The filter then will be gravity fed from the settling tank with a large 4" pipe that ends above the 3 or 4 filter-bags.
So very heavy stuff settles in the settling tank and the smaller and lighter stuff stays in those filter bags and 'clean' water then goes through the bio-area and into the section with the pump.
To have enough space (vertical) for the filter bags, I will have to dig about 30-40cm into the ground and the sides will stand at 80cm high.
That will give plenty of volume and space to grow smaller fish.

With everything gravity fed, I'd only risk the pump if something is blocked but that's easily solved with a float-switch.
But I do think that with this system, the pump has almost zero head and as such, the turnover rate will increase substantially.
Somewhere mid next month or early next year start of the digging.

Cheers,
Luc

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Awesome, well thought through, hope it goes well, good luck

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AQUAGIANTS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Awesome work, I have adult Arapaima Gigas (Paiche) available if anyone is interested please let me know. Currently have young Barramundi and Arapaima as well, and can supply tilapia of any size for those who may need a supply of tilapia. Best regards

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Ok, been a while, been very busy. But this week finally started the new filter.
Tuesday was removing the old filter...
Wednesday further shaping the new filter layout and putting in steel walls.
Today finished most of the walls and started putting the old canvas from the previous filter over the sides as under-layer.

Some changes, as I'm in a real hurry to get it done. Next week flying off again and I need it running asap.
Below some more detailed info...
1. I decided against gravity feed.
- Instead I'll use the pump to empty the Vortex tank into the new filter area.
2. Filter will start with 5 or so large filter socks.
- These still need to purchase, but we're busy talking with some filter companies for our dust-systems anyway.
3. After the filter-socks, I'll put in very fine foam (Normally used for packing electronic spare parts) sandwiched between 2 metal wire frames.
- I'll make about 10 of these frames. Each is about 150 x 80 cm and 10 cm thick.
- I can then play around with how to hang/lay them in the filter area for best effect.
- Easy to clean, just lift out and spray with water.
- after going through that area, the water flows back into the pond.

Sides will be filled in with sand and then gravel.
Final look will be a small hill from the sides and nothing you can see from the frame and plastic.

Tomorrow buying the plastic and then finish it hopefully by tomorrow evening.

IMG_2874.jpg IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2875.jpg

Last edited:

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Only managed to buy all supplies I need.
- 5 x 10 meter liner.
- 2 x 4 meter 2" pipe
- 2 x 2" Valve (no more 3" valve, so I have to reduce those for now.)
- 4 x Reducers 3" to 2"
- 3 x 3" 45' Elbows
- PVC Glue
- 12 Wire-Nettings for now. So I can make 6 filter mattings

Tomorrow my team of the last couple of days in the factory again, they went outside for work today.
So plan tomorrow is:
1. Clean and glue 2 Elbows on the current 3" valves
2. Put a 20 - 30 cm 3" pipe after that
3. Fit reducer at the end and continue with 4 meter 2" pipe
4. Glue 2" Valve at the end
5. Open the 3" valves
6. Check for leaks
7. Back-Fill over the pipes and the old valves. The new valves will stick out of the sand at the end
8. Put more under-liner (jumbo bags) and foam at sharp areas
9. Put the new liner in
10. Test-fill and ensure that water can flow freely back into the pond
11. Make 6 Filter mattings and hang them in the filter
12. Start pumping and filtering

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Well, after a day in the sun, a burned neck and finally a cold beer..
Everything went well, got everything done and pumping around again.
Liner fit very nicely, and got the filter plates in as well as a load of Water Hyacinth.
Still need more Hyacinth, next week, first see how all this goes.
will then also move the 3 cats I have in my tank at home.

Below the finished filter with one of the filter-frames.
Thought they would be heavy enough to sink by itself, but nope.
So I made a frame for the top, and then tied the filters to it. Bottom ends of the filters where tied together so that it formed a V shape in the water.
After that, 2 bags with stones to weigh it down.
Doesn't look anywhere nice and beautiful, but with the water hyacinth, you hardly see anything.

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

The iron beam with the frames is to hold back the Hyacinth from floating into the main pond.
We can just move it forward and backward depending on the amount of plants in there.
The old valves have been opened and then buried into the soil and stone layer.
New valves way out in the back.

Now waiting until Monday and see if this already helps.
Next month I might start with the other side..
Too bad, it really looked nice with all the old setup plants, but it's too much work cleaning it.
Hope this will make it a lot easier and faster to clean.

Filter Socks will be added later.

Cheers,
Luc

Reactions: fuzzlebug

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
And you can clearly see how green the water is at this moment. Mostly because of all the rubbish that got stuck inside the old filter area. The other side is channeling and full of soil as well, so time to clean that up and change it.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Well, been a long time, work and home are keeping me more than busy.

Fuzzy bug, Mr. T is not moving into that new part, it's just the filter for Mr. T's way bigger pond..lol..
But filter is doing well, after quite a long time, the water is now crystal clear again.
Mr. T is doing good also, hardly growing anymore, but estimate him at 6 foot now, no idea of his weight, plenty big enough.
Kept the old filter on the right side, just too much work to have anybody available for off-the-job stuff.
All in all, with the new filter, it's not necessary anyway.

Fish all doing good, nothing much happened and glad to see the pond still going strong after almost 4 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store