Do hybrids get uglier as they grow?

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Hi all,

We all know rays can change drastically from pup to adulthood. I'm thinking of picking up a unique hybrid pup and I heard from a prominent breeder that if it has Marbled or Motoro as part of the mix (if the rest are Leo, Pearl, BD), I can expect the ray to get "uglier" as it grows. Why would this be true? There are some serious stunning Marbles out there so not sure why this would be the case.

What are your thoughts?
This is completely ridiculous that they get uglier as they grow. An accurate statement is all rays change as they grow. Beautiful, ugly or in-between can not be predicted. Each one will develop differently and is a matter of personal choice if you like it or not.
Jim Barry- sorry your ray turned out so ugly- I will give you a thousand dollars so you won't be forced to look at it in your aquarium anymore.:naughty: :drool:

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
^ He IS alive?!!

Stan show us your fish! You've got to have one of the nicest collection of hybrids over here......

Saw some of your rays at Forest Lake Pets - been wondering how you're doing up there?????

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks Energy but i actually quite like her!
Just would have been nice if she had kept some of her puppy big spots. But like you said, any pup is a bit of a gamble as they all change as the grow and develop. The more interesting part is to wait and see what kind of pups the hybrid produces.

This is completely ridiculous that they get uglier as they grow. An accurate statement is all rays change as they grow. Beautiful, ugly or in-between can not be predicted. Each one will develop differently and is a matter of personal choice if you like it or not.
Jim Barry- sorry your ray turned out so ugly- I will give you a thousand dollars so you won't be forced to look at it in your aquarium anymore.:naughty: :drool:

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Is that BlkPirahnas newer hybrid pup? If not looks very similar! Man I hope it retains that pattern and doesnt break up. Its one of my favorite hybrids I seen in a while.

Leo/Pearl x Pearl?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Interesting looking pup. I know you weren't the only person after her. She will be fun to watch develop.

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
Thanks fellas, I got her from Brent. He can confirm but I believe the mom is 50% leo 25% pearl 25% mm. Dad is pearl.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store