Building my three tiered 150 gallon tank

ooosparkeyooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Topeka, KS
www.fishlore.com
I just bought a 3 tiered tank from my LFS about a week ago that is relocating to a bigger facility and getting all new tanks. I get to pick it up the middle of October so that gives me plenty of time to get everything I need.

The tanks are all acrylic and around 50+gal capacity each for a total of over 150 gallons. They are all inside a 4' wide "bookshelf" and have a light set up above each tank built into the shelving that is 4 t-12s.

tank.jpg
(this is with some of the plastic panels taken off.)

I plan on drilling each tank and plumbing them all together with 2" PVC to create a overflow style filter system which will be powered by a 1400 GPH Canister that has about a 15 gallon volume putting my water capacity in tank over 165 gallons.

I then plan on having each tank to be a different set up to allow for my MTS so I don't have to keep buying new tanks for different fish.

Top Tank:
Will be a wild guppy,Multi-shrimp colony or Cory Colony and Soil planted tank. The first think I will do is retro fit the old lights into 4- T5's. Next I was going to go with some MGOC and cap it with some red or some black CaribSea Flora Max Planted Aquarium Substrate. Then Ill probably just do a gallon jug of DIY Co2 Add in with chemical fertilizers occasionally. Im thinking a few swords maybe some crypts, red ludwigia, java moss and java fern, Also will house 2- 300 Watt heaters. Maybe a few limestone rocks.

Middle Tank:
Will behold a few Angels, Mixed Tetra species, an Albino Longfin bristlenose pleco, 2 Swords in soiled Terracotta Pots, White Sand, and a giant chunk of African Root Drift wood covered in Java Moss as a Center piece. Then Retrofitted light to 4- T8's. Maybe a few limestone rocks.

Bottom Tank:
Will be home to my 8 single species African Cichlids fry I have- 4 Female and 4 Male.
0920141417.jpg 0920141418a.jpg 0920141420.jpg

Brown Sand, Limestone Rocks, then either some very hardy plants or plastic plants. Then of course the Retro fitted T8's. With Maybe a miniature Pleco species like a regular BN.

I Just ordered the Canister and two 300w fully submersible heater. They will arrive probably next Friday to the following Tuesday. I also have an old 200w heater ill also put into my tanks for a total of 800 watts of heat to be distributed.

General Comments, concerns, questions, input?

( I know the cichlids and angels are very different parameters for one tank, the Cichlids have been in my guppy tank since birth and are about 1" long and im guessing with a midrange between the two set up they will do fine.)

tank.jpg

0920141417.jpg

0920141418a.jpg

0920141420.jpg

ooosparkeyooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Topeka, KS
www.fishlore.com
Haha that would be awesome but nope. But could you imagine the stock you could have, And thanks I'll try to add pictures as i build it.

Yodins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I like the idea. Seems pretty thought out too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice and interesting shape to the tanks,do you have the lids for them,and what is the stand made of?

ooosparkeyooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Topeka, KS
www.fishlore.com
The stand is 1" square metal tubing with a plastic beauty cover over all of it as far as i can tell. The trapazoid style tank i really love it gives great angle to view the tank.

As for tank covers there isn't one. I plan on making some covers out of plexiglass.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Looks cool and I really like the water flow idea you have. Will the south American species and the Africans be okay in the same water parameters?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store