No baffle sump. Will it work?

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
It depends what you're trying to achieve. My sump has baffles as I wanted to create a settling area for the heavier waste produced by my Panaques, and because I used Poret foam for my mechanical media as I wanted something that was going to last longer between cleans than filter socks. Ideally I'd run a pair of 50 micron socks after the foam as it still lets through some of the finer particles (finest sponge is 30ppi) and I've noticed a bit of a build up in my matrix, but at 2.2M long already I didn't have the room to extend it further to incorporate the socks! I could run the socks where the matrix is then put the matrix in bags in the last compartment, or the other option I'm considering is replacing the matrix with something like K1 that is self-cleaning.

I really like the no-baffles set up, and if I were doing a sump for a smaller tank, or with different stock (no wood-eating catfish!) then I would happily go down that route.
Love the sump David, I really like the settlement chamber awesome

Sent from my GT-P3113 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Love the sump David, I really like the settlement chamber awesome
Thanks, not sure how it would go for other messy fish like rays, but for the sawdust the Panaques create it works well. At the moment I'm siphoning it weekly or fortnightly depending on how lazy I feel, next time I do it I'll siphon it into a filter sock or some wool so I can show just how much crap it collects. I think it will be even more effective with a big tangle of Pothos roots in it.

Raul-7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Lomita, CA
Baffles are more for SW; they use baffles to keep a consistent water level for their skimmer section - then use those triple baffles to prevent microbubbles [from the skimmer] entering the display. Not needed in FW.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im almost done with my 90g/40b combo.

No baflfes. Im running a fairly complex trickle tower. uploadfromtaptalk1413981423440.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1413981448004.jpg

Poly pad -> filter floss -> bioballs -> scrubbies -> scrubbies -> ceramic rings

In addition the sump will have half a dozen sponge filters and a handful of box filters with biomax. (Air driven)

Im using a large portion of the sump for big mesh breeding boxes for cichlid fry.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MrBlakcIS300

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
MN
For the no baffle guys... Are you guys worried about flooding your main tank if/when you somehow lose suction from the overflow?

I'm planning to use a 125g sump for a 360g, but if somehow I lost suction I doubt the almost full 360g could handle an extra 50g of water before overflowing.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
For the no baffle guys... Are you guys worried about flooding your main tank if/when you somehow lose suction from the overflow?

I'm planning to use a 125g sump for a 360g, but if somehow I lost suction I doubt the almost full 360g could handle an extra 50g of water before overflowing.
Im assuming that maybe you're talking about a system running with a continuous siphon overflow box?

I've got a traditional reef ready single overflow style tank which I've drilled a 3rd overflow on the back glass.
uploadfromtaptalk1414657014672.jpg

Ive simulated every failure I could think of. Power off, plugging 1 drain, plugging 2 drains... etc. The drains are low enough in the overflow that they will purge air and go full siphon before the pump can out flow them.

Hope thay helps.

Raul-7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Lomita, CA

Is your overflow not drilled? Only HOB overflows lose siphon.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
If you're worried about the pump emptying the sump you could put a gradual sweeping elbow on the intake and position it where you wanted your minimum water level so the pump sucks air

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store