help me design a sump

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
so I have my eyes on a 30g tank that is 30" long 18" tall and 12.75" deep. iam thinking of doing three comparments in it 1st for the filter socks, middle one for media and heaters, and 3rd one for the pump...ive attached a pic of the sump design iam thinking of doing...is there any concerns with this or any tips that you guys can give at all on that would be great pump I believe is around 8 or 9 " long and 5" tall and I would like to jam as much media as possible in it also I need to stuff a pair of 16" jager 250watt heaters somewere so Id like the filter sock section and return pump section as small as possible

sump.png

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Baffles can be used in salt or fresh.
I never use baffles though, because I am always changing my set ups, and baffles would limit my options.
Filter socks also reduce the need for baffles, they are basically baffled mechanical filtration unit in themselves.
I also like to place heaters in a horizontal position on the bottom of the sump, this always give at least some water to cover in case of a mishap ( pumps usually can't pump all water out).
I use Mag Drive and Laguuna pumps at the moment.
Mags are great pumps, but can be noisy.
The Laguuna are quieter, use less power, and I like the cage, it prevents snails, and other debris from getting into the pump intake.
Below a Mag Drive in a 40 gal sump, it handles 4 tanks, so the filter socks are placed wherever the water enters.

below, a Laguuna pump in a 50 gal sump

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
so do I really even need baffles then, or with the way I have the baffle set on this one it will work good to "force" the water through media better and etc ? and yes I want to lay both heaters down on bottom of sump under media, maybe even a pair of air stones under media help put oxygen in water and less in the display and ive also heard it benefits BB but I might be and heard wrong on that

pump Im going with is 2500gph@4ft RS Electrical believe it 210watts

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Baffles in saltwater tanks are used for two purposes. First is to keep the water level constant in certain areas. Skimmers require a constant water level, baffles allow this, it keeps everything at the same level except in the return area for the pump. Second use is to reduce bubbles which can be more of an issue in a salt tank. If designed properly baffles will keep bubbles from reaching the display. They are not needed in a freshwater tank, though can be useful in certain situations.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I dislike baffles, I did it once, never again.
I went the route of a trickle tower that sits below the drains of the overflow.

uploadfromtaptalk1414775115508.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1414775160770.jpg

I have 6 compartments. The top is a poly pad followed by a chamber of filter floss anf the other 4 are for bio media.

You can use Rubbermaid/sterlite stacking drawers alternatively. Then just put whatever you want in your sump, heaters, pumps, sponge filters, uv sterilizers, bags of bio media, a refugium.
The only drawback is the headroom required.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raul-7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Lomita, CA
Baffles in saltwater tanks are used for two purposes. First is to keep the water level constant in certain areas. Skimmers require a constant water level, baffles allow this, it keeps everything at the same level except in the return area for the pump. Second use is to reduce bubbles which can be more of an issue in a salt tank. If designed properly baffles will keep bubbles from reaching the display. They are not needed in a freshwater tank, though can be useful in certain situations.
Just to add it's the bubbles from the skimmer that they eliminate, so we don't need them in FW.

If you want a baffle, use poret as baffles.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
will the design I posted work well, water into the socks then forced under a baffle then from bottom of media to the top then overflow into pump area ? also will I benefit anything with the air stones under the media ? help the BB as well oxygen in the water since im running 84deg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Your design should work well.

I see no need for air stones. Ive tried this in the past, it doesn't do anything.

Water has a saturation point where it can only hold so much oxygen. The bubbles from the air stone will do nothing (except aid in water movement) until they break the surface tension and the water exchages gasses.

Your overflow should have enough surface disturbance to oxygenate the water.

If you want to add stones for piece of mind I can totally understand since I do stuff like that all the time, but it really won't do mycb of anything

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
In my sump I've an area with no surface agitation the pump sits in. I run an airstone to breakup the film that builds up. If i didn't have that issue I'd not run one.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store