My TSN:)

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I do not eat scottish salmon, I only eat pure alaskan salmon which I catch out of freshwater. They may actually contain fat, because I find those white strips in my salmon also, however is the portion of fat to the portion of meat big enough to take huge effects? What would the fish in the wild contain?

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
I have noticed w/c salmon are lower in fat such as Atlantic salmon.as far as the effect on aquarium fish I don't know good or bad, it used it to help get my gar off of live

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
In the wild TSNs pray on cichlids and other tropical fish and also crustaceans. 99% of them are very lean - they don't need fat neither for energy nor for buoyancy. (Some, rare fish like pacu can have significant fat deposits to survive the dry season in tributaries and seasonal ponds, not so in the main river channels.) Cold-water fish all need fat but to various extents.

Been proven beyond any doubt at Public Aquaria that feeding even such cold-water-but-highly-adaptable-to-warm-water fish as goldfish to tropical predators, f/w or salt, results in fat deposits around their internal organs as their body is not built to process such amounts of fat. The usual diagnoses are "death from a fatty liver disease".

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
In the wild TSNs pray on cichlids and other tropical fish and also crustaceans. 99% of them are very lean - they don't need fat neither for energy nor for buoyancy. (Some, rare fish like pacu can have significant fat deposits to survive the dry season in tributaries and seasonal ponds, not so in the main river channels.) Cold-water fish all need fat but to various extents.

Been proven beyond any doubt at Public Aquaria that feeding even such cold-water-but-highly-adaptable-to-warm-water fish as goldfish to tropical predators, f/w or salt, results in fat deposits around their internal organs as their body is not built to process such amounts of fat. The usual diagnoses are "death from a fatty liver disease".
And there we go:)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok

Yeah that sounds right, I guess fat is around their organs for protection or something? I can't imagine insulation since Trout and salmon can live in like -20 degree weather!

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I was suspicious about the amount of fat in salmon. I watched a documentary because I never remembered the silvers and reds that I've caught over the years having so much fat (or the white bars), the source clearly shows wild salmon does not have as much fat in it, a substantial difference. Although fat is always present, I still agree with my original opinion of wild sockeye and coho salmon being fine for feeding fish.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
He looks great! I love that clown knife, as well; I've always wanted to own one, but I worry about their potential size, with my aquarium's 24" width.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store