African Biotope Setup- Help me plan it! (image heavy)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Dambas are becoming more and more available these days, in your set up the pin stripe damba (Paretroplus menerambo) might work because it gets large (14" with almost as much height). They like to live in shoals of 5 or more.

Their close cousin P maculatus is a bit smaller, but might also work.

Although this is just an opinion, I find Madagascar to be more Asian than African as far as bio-tope goes.
The above Madagascan Paretroplus are more primitive, and more closely related to the Indian Etropline cichlids than any from Africa.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Billy is REALLY thin; I know, I know. I'm STILL trying to get him back on pellets. He's hitting them now, but he's still not eating them. :/
I wonder why he suddenly doesn't wanna eat them. You would think that since he was eating them so well before that he'd go back to eating them again really fast.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry for the late reply. Tragic loss. My aro choked on a piece of clear plastic. I was trying to do maintenance on my hob overflow and it snapped in half. A few shards ended up in the tank. I thought I got them all out. He was 16":/

I go to college. I've never actually seen my newest afer eat. From my previous two that I owned, they never grew much. Loved to steal food out of my bichirs mouths. I feed my tank massivore, floating food sticks, and cut tilapia. I usually feed krill as well, however I can't find any in my area in 1lb flat packs. I can't wait until summer when I can see them everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
great job dude, looking forward to this monster setup coming together!-)

jennybean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2014
United States
All those bichir are going to love the root balls, this tank looks like its going to be awesome! IMO id get several brown knife fish, I've got one and he is probably my favorite fish he'll eat insects and blood worms from my hand. When they get larger they can be a little aggressive towards each other but with 510 gallons and plenty of hiding places that shouldn't be a problem.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Rob,

What is your current stocklist?

I am particularly interested in the P. afer behaviour. There is a very nice golden spotted one in my LFS (~7") and he keeps smiling at me everytime I go there...
However, most of what I read on their aggressiveness and being a sob "night killing machine" makes me hesitate.
I would put it in my "primitive tank", which is an oddly shapped 240g (60x40x24") where I keep 3 FLGars, 4 polypterus (endli, ornate, lap and senegal) and one rope fish.
From what I´ve been reading it would be ok with the polys, but I fear for the gars..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store