Lights for RBP

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
What kind of light works for RBP to make them look nice ? I know they like dimly lit tanks, but would be nice to have lights that make them look nice when I am viewing them

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Although I don't know specific types of lighting, you're definitely along the right lines in terms of dimly lit. I've seen some fantastic RBP tanks that had specific areas of spotlight, resembling natural sunlight coming through; as far as I could tell it wasn't a particular colour of lighting, just standard but effectively positioned.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thegameplayer

Feeder Fish
Aug 21, 2014
Philippines
Hello, I recently started keeping 4 RBPs, they're all juveniles. I have pink fluorescent lighting and they freak out when I switch on the lights.

I read that they love dimly lit tanks but I have also seen tanks that are lit but the piranhas don't freak out; I noticed that those piranhas are usually adults.

Is it possible to get them used to the aquarium lights (and wait until they reach adulthood) or should I modify the aquarium lighting?

I'm hoping that it's possible to get them used to it since I like to view them clearly as well. Thanks!

Big_Nate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Kansas
I personally have wrapped my florescent bulbs candy cane style with black electric tape. They still spaz out a little when the lights first come on, but after a few minutes they are back to business as usual.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store