Whats with ghost shrimp?

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If your using them as feeders look into white cloud minnows. Some stores sell them as feeders for dirt cheap.

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
I have also had them breed in FW. Maybe you're thinking of Amano Shrimp? I know those need brackish water during the larval stage.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I have also had them breed in FW. Maybe you're thinking of Amano Shrimp? I know those need brackish water during the larval stage.
hmmm very well could be! I haven't had any breed yet that I've seen. The largest sustained population I have currently is oddly enough the one in my bichir tank. my lap and sen leave them alone, but in my pickerel tank they are targeted and destroyed within days haha.

I have gotten a few larger, what I am guessing, are females because they seem to be carrying eggs. Though I have never seen them lay any or noticed any new young in the tank.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
What happened was they got re-classified as feeders. This means that the quality goes down and pet stores are wary to order larger amounts because they arrive with half the order dead. Also they're more prone to carry disease/parasites. I started breeding my own. They breed in fresh water but I find adding some salt helps. Also EVERYTHING eats the eggs and the baby shrimp- so if you have them in a community tank expect the community to provide around the clock birth control.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Yes.
And I can't see them turning a profit at .33 per.

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Yes.
And I can't see them turning a profit at .33 per.

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"
It is $1.50 a dozen at my lfs

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
i do not know their scientific names but there are 2 types of ghost shrimp. one needs brackish to spawn and the
other doesnt.. its been a while since i had my planted tanks so i do not remember how to tell the difference.

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
i'm gonna go out on a limb here a say it may have to do with your location. the petsmart right by my house almost always has dozens of them also considering most pet stores in the nyc/north jersey area are fairly high traffic. i usually buy anywhere from 20-50 whenever i stop in and in most cases i don't clean them out completely

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store