Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
I agree the veteran comparison is flat out silly and makes zero sense. It's actually derailing your entire point. No one had vilified her for work in Africa. It's completely a non issue. I can be thankful for your contribution but still mindful of the potential health risks you present.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
guess I need to go back to, :popcorn: on this thread. :) enjoy!!!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
leave the nurse alone, harks back to vets coming back from Vietnam and being called baby killers. she just back from working some nastie s&^*t on her choice and just wants to take a bike ride and have pizza. she shows 0 symptoms. even if she has it (which I dowt) until she has symptoms she is not infectious. the fear mongering is proving to be worse than the effects it has had on folks lives here.
Hello; the volunteer work she did in Africa was admirable. I applaud her and the others that do that nasty and life threatening work. While the doctors and nurses doing this nasty work are at risk of infection, there are also ordinary people in the hot zones at risk of infection. I think I saw a report that over 100 such people from the "hot zones" may enter the USA each day. There is not yet a quick test to identify the people infected with the virus, so it takes 21 days to be sure.

She is being "vilified" for refusing to self isolate and the open defiance of the civil authorities of her home state. There is a reason the length of the incubation period is 21 days. While most infected show symptoms by 8 to 10 days, some do not show until days later. My understanding is that she has no way of knowing for sure she is Ebola free until the full 21 days are over. Her assertions that she is now Ebola free are not founded in the "science" as I understand it. I agree she likely is free of the virus, but in my opinion should still follow the isolation order to be sure. At some point another person from the "hot zones" is likely to enter the USA and will prove to have the virus, just as Mr. Duncan did. Right now the best way to prevent the possible spread of the virus seems to be an enforced quarantine period of 21 days.

A problem with leaving her alone is that if the authorities back away from a forced quarantine now, it will be much harder to enforce such monitoring and isolation in the future. Several people asked to voluntarily self isolate have already broken the deal. At least two were health care professionals who should have known better. It seems clear that some people will risk spreading the infection because they do not want the inconvenience of isolation. We are indeed lucky in that the Ebola virus, at this point, is somewhat difficult to transmit. It is not impossible to transmit as the thousands of dead and infected in Africa give proof.

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Can you type those last two sentences in bold all caps using the largest headline font that this board supports, please? ;)

I'm hearing about landfills refusing the ASHES of incinerated ebola-related medical waste. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO effin' reactionary, in the same type of way that pops was shaking his head over.

I am grateful that people seem to NOW be getting the idea that the enforcement is through the individual /STATES/. :p

Here's an editorial by the former director of CDC, who is crediting with coming up with the strategy to eliminate smallpox. He has some good thoughts on the evolution of the response to this still unfolding event:

http://www.humanosphere.org/global-health/2014/10/op-ed-bill-foege-make-ebola-worse/

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
From one who lives in Maine, this takes up too much time in the local news. Reporters and state police are camped out in front of their house in Ft. Kent, which is a couple hundred miles away from me. From what I have heard, she can not go into public areas and must stay at least three feet away from anyone. Interesting that a local reporter was interviewing her while she was on her bike ride. Hope he stayed three feet away...
The governor would like to buy her a one way airplane ticket.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Can you type those last two sentences in bold all caps using the largest headline font that this board supports, please? ;)

I'm hearing about landfills refusing the ASHES of incinerated ebola-related medical waste. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO effin' reactionary, in the same type of way that pops was shaking his head over.

I am grateful that people seem to NOW be getting the idea that the enforcement is through the individual /STATES/. :p

Here's an editorial by the former director of CDC, who is crediting with coming up with the strategy to eliminate smallpox. He has some good thoughts on the evolution of the response to this still unfolding event:

http://www.humanosphere.org/global-health/2014/10/op-ed-bill-foege-make-ebola-worse/
Hello; I read the article by Bill Foege by following your link. I agree with his evaluation citing failure of the need to follow, find and isolate a large number of Ebola contacts in Africa. and that their health care system is overwhelmed. The need to identify and isolate Ebola contacts seems a key part of the plan to control the outbreak in Africa. So if I read correctly it is Interesting that isolation (quarantine is isolation, is it not?)of such contacts here in the USA is not what he advocates.

In fact he says that there is not evidence that quarantine is any better than simply taking the temperature of Ebola contacts twice a day. My take is that at least in quarantine the Ebola contacts will not be riding airplanes, taking cruises, using the subways or going out to get pizza. Three of those four examples were health care workers who at least claimed they were taking their temps.

I agree that this outbreak in Africa can take months to contain. Somehow the logic is supposed to be that the free travel of health care workers and other people to and from the USA and the hot spots in Africa should not be interfered with by the unpleasant aspects of quarantine?
Let me see if I have this correct. The plan is to identify and isolate the Ebola contacts in Africa and to allow the Ebola contacts coming here to simply self-monitor symptoms by taking temperatures twice a day? NOTE – I understand that an NIH Dr. has described a four tier severity of contact scale but I will not get into that as I do not recall it mentioned in the article.

I also agree that our current screening in airports is not fool proof. Seems another way that quarantine might be of value? So yes, I am among the people that are critical of much of the current public health approach and do favor the calling for some sort of travel ban and some sort of enforced isolation. Travel can be prioritized to allow only such travel that has some critical purpose. Seeing as how voluntary isolation has already been violated , then enforced is likely to be necessary.

I guess this is enough said and will not go into the distractions of influenza, tobacco, guns and hospital acquired infections. I think I will stay up late to see if we get the snow predicted. We may have the earliest measurable snowfall on record here tonight.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
it appears east coast is already having a projected salt shortage. I called my west coast provider to see if this was going to be a problem here and stock pile 60 more tons or so. he says no worries. have more than enough for what ever needs we may have for the winter. he does have transfer truck issue, so looking to use another vender for pickup and delivery.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
It's going to snow in Ft. Kent.
Court ordered procedures for her were re-issued yesterday. Now she must coordinate travel with disease control. Much less stringent than the first court order.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
They are now saying Ebola is aerostable and can remain on surfaces for 50 days.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...ow-aerostable-and-can-remain-surfaces-50-days
Hello; The 250,000 hazmat suits, the insurance changes and the long viability of the virus on cold surfaces are new to me. We have discussed the aerosol vs. airborne difference on this forum. I have wondered about who picked up the cost of Mr. Duncans care myself.

By the way it snowed and is still snowing but no measurable amounts on the ground as yet at my place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store