Large, Plant-Safe, Peaceful Cichlids

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because Geophagines are most comfortable in groups of 4 or more, if it were me, I'd keep all the Geos and only get a mid water column living fish.
Since Thorichthys are the Central American equivalent to Geophagus, they would not be my first choice, as they would see each other as competitors.
And because a 90 gal is really not very large, I would think a shoal of smaller fish would be a better choice, than a large cichlid.
And as stated above, any vegetarian Uaru, or Vieja/Paratheraps or omnivorous Herichthyines types would tend to destroy your plants, or best case scenario, up root them.
If you must have cichlids, I agree with the above, that the geographically correct discus, or even angels would be more apropos.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'm keeping severum and a syn with plants. While they will destroy any clippings from my hi-tech planted tank they don't bother tougher plants such as swords, tiger lotus, onion plants or anubias.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
My 75 is high tech, and the link is in my sig. I'm really enjoying my EBJD and thread fin acara's....rainbow cichlids work nicely as well.

I will say that it is a little bit of experimenting to get the tank right though. My problems now are more algae based than fish produced issues *sigh*

I noticed that rainbow cichlids and probably the others would bother specific species of plant, such as Linderia species and Wisteria (of all the things to bother).

Look around on the planted section, there is a woman with a 110 with cichlids who's names I don't even know and plants.

Firemouths and their relatives would definitely be fine, and I do suggest getting cichlids that stay around the 6" mark if not smaller. I do, however, DEMAND pictures of the tank and a dedicated thread for it once you get it up and running :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store