Convict x Nic mating?

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
My male convict and female Nic paired up and have gone through 2 batches of eggs, none successfully fertilized or allowed to make it. My question, anyone have a successful spawn with this cross? If so, what were your experiences and if you could share pictures that'd be great.

P.S. I'm not trying to breed these two as there is a salvini and blue acara waiting to eat the babies should they hatch. Just curious

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
Though I've never seen it, I am 99% sure a Convict and a Nic can breed.

Don't worry if the first few batches fail, my Ellioti and Convict went through 6 tries to get it right.

Let them keep at it until it works out, best way possible.
So I've learned that the nic eggs are alot bigger than the convict eggs, plus they don't stick to anything, they just float around. Might take some aiming practice for my con I guess

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I haven't seen or heard of any Nic crosses, but I rarely pay attention to feeder threads. Nics are so far removed from other centrals, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the one species that didn't match up on a genetic level.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
No need to be apological if they cross breed, just don't sell or mislabel them as pure species. Nothing wrong to keep some to see how the hybrid offspring will turn out, but I doubt it will be an improvement of either species.

Convict is the playboy of CA, as it has successfully cross bred with many CAs, including at least one SA from deep south. Nic has unusual breeding habit, and lays non sticky eggs, so I wonder successful cross breeing is possible.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I haven't seen or heard of any Nic crosses, but I rarely pay attention to feeder threads. Nics are so far removed from other centrals, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the one species that didn't match up on a genetic level.
I agree. I'm not sure they would produce viable fry. Just because they may be trying doesn't mean they will be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store