Is it bad to keep tortoise with fish?

TAiZi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
Singapore
i have a common RES turtle which seems to like nipping on my fish's fins. Is this common behavior? Deciding if i am forced to remove the RES

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Turtles will eat any fish they can catcth, but they arent that fast. A friend had a terapin that tore an oscar apart and slowly ate it.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Yes RES will eat your plants and any fish it can catch.
I have two.
Also have two Ouachita map turtles. they are much better with fish & plants.

Both will dig up plants in search of food too.

I found that knife fish make good tank mates with turtles if you have a floating dock and floating plants.

Rich

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
putting fish with turtles is never a good idea unless you dont care if the fish lives

however a friend of mines had a snapping turtle and 2 4" gold fish live together for many years (until he got rid of the turtles)

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
I would say it depends on the turtle. I have a common musk turtle with my Jardini and other tank mates as well. The turtle does not bother any of his tank mates. The feeder convicts I put in that did not get eaten actually hang around the turtle for leftovers since he is such a messy eater and for protection from the rest of the fish.

I would never put a RES in my fish tank. They are not fish friendly. One thing to note when adding a turtle to any tank, they are eating and pooping machines. Make sure your filtration can handle the load.

RobE

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
Seminole, FL
I have a razor back musk and a pink belly sideneck in with my sa cichlids. The musk pays no attention whatsoever to the fish. In fact it's common for the fish to swoop in and steal food away from him while he's eating. The sideneck will occasionally chase the fish around the tank but quickly leaves them alone. I am going to move her to a pond where she can have more room to swim, they are very active turtles.

Ime the musk turtles seem to be pretty good with fish, although every turtle is going to be different so be careful. I would never put a res in with fish I cared about.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Tortoise are from land, you mean turtle.....................

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store