Black belt cichlid "fighting" anubias

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I know that black belts are ferocious plant eaters yet my old one (F1 female) did chew on the swords in the tank from time to time but never really destroyed them. But my F0 male is crazy, he destroyed about $70 worth of large anubias barteri and he doesn't even eat them! He just enjoys to "fight" them and shred them to pieces! I clean my eheim and my rena and I always found anubias shreds in the filter. I removed all my plants and moved them to my 30 gallon planted. Hell, even my turtles don't beat up anubias this bad. Anybody know why?

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I know that black belts are ferocious plant eaters yet my old one (F1 female) did chew on the swords in the tank from time to time but never really destroyed them. But my F0 male is crazy, he destroyed about $70 worth of large anubias barteri and he doesn't even eat them! He just enjoys to "fight" them and shred them to pieces! I clean my eheim and my rena and I always found anubias shreds in the filter. I removed all my plants and moved them to my 30 gallon planted. Hell, even my turtles don't beat up anubias this bad. Anybody know why?
Idk why but my male did the same thing. Shredded mine for the simple joy of it

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MzY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2018
I need help please, is this black belt cichlid or something else help me please

8336608F-7FF0-473D-B6A3-FAC1F7FAF893.jpeg

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Since they are primarily herbivores, the BB might be trying to eat them. But anubias aren’t very edible. Most fish won’t eat them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here in Panama, black belts ccme out of river deltas into the sea to graze on marine alga.
I believe it may have to do with getting a sufficient amount of the nutrient/mineral iodine, which the salt water algae contains.
The instinct to acquire that nutrient may urge them to eat any tough fibrous plant in the confines of the aquarium.
When I had black belts in the aquarium in the states, I fed pellets made for marine algae eating salt water fish, and I believe this may have helped bring out the red color we often see in wild ones.

Reactions: Toiletcar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store