Black belt cichlids in saltwater...is such a thing true?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I would agree with you if this was the saltwater forum but since it's the CA/SA section and I don't give a rats (you know what) about Nemo. I think it's pretty cool info and an interesting read.
+1. I keep both fresh and saltwater, and although in general salt does have more variety as far as color - I still enjoy freshwater more - can't put my finger on it. Maybe because saltwater fish being beautiful and colorful is generally a "given" where as fresh has a subtle beauty that true hobbiest learn to enjoy. For example, the beautiful gold-green sheen on my pearsei - complemented by the bright blue eyes.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
For saltwater folks, it will be cool to throw in a few freshwater fish, as many already do with adding livebearers to control algae. But for freshwater folks to set up a saltwater tank to house cichlids, it's just not practical though it's cool to see others do it.

Although saltwater fish are a lot more colorful and variable than freshwater fish, I heard that they have a tendency to lose color with age in captivity. For freshwater fish, you can see the transformation of colorless juvies into colorful adults. In saltwater, you see the reverse. Also, I have never heard that saltwater fish breed in captivity, so the fun of watching courtship, breeding and fry raising behavior common in freshwater fish is lacking. Some tank buster cichlid are glass banger. Never heard of saltwater fish have a personality.

I have never kept saltwater fish, so I don't know what I heard above are facts or stereotype.

LONE_WOLF

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
Rancho Cucamonga
For saltwater folks, it will be cool to throw in a few freshwater fish, as many already do with adding livebearers to control algae. But for freshwater folks to set up a saltwater tank to house cichlids, it's just not practical though it's cool to see others do it.

Although saltwater fish are a lot more colorful and variable than freshwater fish, I heard that they have a tendency to lose color with age in captivity. For freshwater fish, you can see the transformation of colorless juvies into colorful adults. In saltwater, you see the reverse. Also, I have never heard that saltwater fish breed in captivity, so the fun of watching courtship, breeding and fry raising behavior common in freshwater fish is lacking. Some tank buster cichlid are glass banger. Never heard of saltwater fish have a personality.

I have never kept saltwater fish, so I don't know what I heard above are facts or stereotype.
Check out ORA their the largest producer of aqua-cultured salt water fish. They raise and sell captive bred saltwater fish and coral to protect reefs. Also for saltwater fish with personality and glass bangers check out groupers, eels, puffers, damsels (i.e. maroon clowns), gobies and plenty of sharks and tons of other ones. Hell even a mantis shrimp I had in my live rock was a terror. A shrimp of all things!

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I've kept silver scats in completely salt before. Mollies are another. You have to remember there are varying degrees to which a fish is saltwater or fresh. Generally speaking, true brackish water fish can go full salt. They can't go full fresh (for long at least). Fish also will migrate into brackish/full salt for short periods of time to help kill parasites, spawn, migrate, etc.

I disagree with their not being saltwater glass bangers.

Triggers, puffers, groupers, parrots, etc. Some of them will take your fingertips off. Tick off a big clown trigger or a big undulated trigger and let me know how that goes. People have had fingers REMOVED by large morays. Yes, as in removed.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
If you want to do it, you certainly can by increasing the salt levels in the tank slowly to the desired salinity over a period of weeks. Worked with my mosquito fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana

Puffers, morays, filefish, triggers, and many wrasse all have GREAT personality. And certain gobies and clowns will readily breed in captivity with the right conditions.

And how can you say something isn't practical and then flip around and say you aren't entirely sure of the facts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Wow interesting stuff and well written article. I concur, this adds some interesting dimensions especially for people who have species that can acclimate to salty water.

1) Some species might actually thrive in saltier water which is certainly a good insight for pet owners. Who wouldn't want to know how to provide a better environment?
2) Even if fish only tolerate the added salt, salt itself provides a long term health benefit in inhibiting disease/promoting healing. Certainly that's a worthy tool which more people may be able to use to a greater extent than previously known
3) Salt may be key in some things the article didn't mention (e.g., procreation, growth, lifespan) which may not become apparent until it is used more widely

I don't doubt that many people would like to see the reverse (salt water fish acclimated to fresh water), but the saying "half a loaf is better than none" comes to mind.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I doubt anybody in the world has ever kept black belts in saltwater (maybe unless they were giving it a salt bath to treat parasites). I think it may work for wild caught fish as they have likely journeyed to the ocean once in their time in the wild. For captive bred ones, it's possible they have lost the ability to survive in full on salt water from being born in captivity. But that is most likely false as many black belts are born in freshwater yet venture into the sea to feast on algae/small fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store