How aggressive are cichla?

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hi. New to these fish. I was wondering how aggressive are these fish? I need something in my tank besides my black arowana that will swim in the middle/top layer of the tank. I also have a royal clown knife and 11 bichirs in the tank. Would these fish comm well? Tank is a standard 180 for the next year or so.

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
I guess I could give more specific info. Bichirs range from 12" to 21". Clown knife is 12-13". Aro is 12". Would a 10-12" pbass look at the arowana as food? Its long, but not very thick. Im a bit unsure if they would be compatible, and I definitely want the arowana more than I want a pbass.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya if it can't fit in the basses mouth, it will as a rule be fine. Exceptions of course, but my bass only beefed with each other, noone else.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Some fully grown large Tems will try to dominate a tank but it takes years years for them to get that way ,,,24+ inches they just start bullying but not too bad ,, arrows basically don't give a crap anyway and they are so active you have nothing to worry about ,,,they only thing after you wash them and they know you they will soon become you're favorite fish !!

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Small aros tend to scare easy and are very docile, i'd make sure the aro is a bit bigger than the cichla..

Maybe 8" cichla to give them some poly margin but still not big enough to scare or bully the aro..

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
They are so calm u can keep guppies and blue lobster with them no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Haha,, that was actually the best thing i heard all day!! literally made me laugh out loud.. well maybe giggle not laugh
i was gonna say a 9" bass would be a good size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store