clawed frogs and polys

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Anyone have experience keeping large clawed frogs with large polys? Are they as compatible as I have heard? My girlfriend really wants one and Im not sure what to make of the videos/ threads I have seen/read.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Wouldn't frogs end up as snacks. It smells like something they would eat in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Large poly 's would probably grab frog's leg or arm , and do death roll to rip limb's off to swallow.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Well a large enough clawed frog can live with upper jaws and a fully grown one most likely can live with lowerjaws, however they prefer temps of 70-75 degrees and need a calcium rich diet (really just worms, shrimp pellets, and guppies), and adults should really only be fed every 2-3 days to avoid obesity.

From my experience they are compatible but i didnt know they prefer cold temps like axolotls so i had to rehome mine.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Well a large enough clawed frog can live with upper jaws and a fully grown one most likely can live with lowerjaws, however they prefer temps of 70-75 degrees and need a calcium rich diet (really just worms, shrimp pellets, and guppies), and adults should really only be fed every 2-3 days to avoid obesity.

From my experience they are compatible but i didnt know they prefer cold temps like axolotls so i had to rehome mine.
Oh wow, I heard 80 was acceptable for them. Guess I need to break the bad news to kimmie :(

Love your tag by the way, sawicki

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I read they are a food for them in the wild, so I don't think temps are a problem.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I read they are a food for them in the wild, so I don't think temps are a problem.
I dont know about full grown LJs but i had a full grown frog with my 14" ornate and 10" senegal and 12" BGK np... temp is really bad for them, they live shorter lives and are more prone to diseases with the higher temp.

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
I catch frogs for my polys in the summer time. African clawed frogs with an african predatory fish seems like a horrible idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store