Can a pictus cat's venom kill other fish?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Hello! I introduced a 3 inch pictus cat into my 65 gallon, the home of my Chocolate cichlid (He'll go in a 200 when I get the tank in December or January) along with a handful of baby cichlids (2-4") But my chocolate LOVES to eat, he tried to eat my pictus (and failed) but the pictus' dorsal fin was nipped. I'm worried that the pictus' venom could kill my chocolate. Is this possible? The chocolate cichlid is an 8 inch male, if you want to know.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Hello! I introduced a 3 inch pictus cat into my 65 gallon, the home of my Chocolate cichlid (He'll go in a 200 when I get the tank in December or January) along with a handful of baby cichlids (2-4") But my chocolate LOVES to eat, he tried to eat my pictus (and failed) but the pictus' dorsal fin was nipped. I'm worried that the pictus' venom could kill my chocolate. Is this possible? The chocolate cichlid is an 8 inch male, if you want to know.
It shouldn't I've had cichlids eat pictus without any issues other than almost choking on them.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
It shouldn't kill them. I hope you have your Pictus in with other Pictus cats though. They are a schooling catfish

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Should be fine, I'd be more worried about how much damage the pictus took and as stated above they should be kept in schools.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I don't have any other pictus yet. My LFS had 2, but one got stuck in the net, so I didn't take him. I used a dixie cup to net out my pictus, going to get a couple more when one of my LFS gets a batch. The pictus is doing well, the chocolate doesn't bug him and even my Vieja Breidohri doesn't try to eat his eyes (That happened to some of my corys, so I sold them or moved them to a 15 where they'll stay until my 30 gallon is done cycling)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It won't kill. It is not a venom but a substance in the slime that irritates victim's nerve ending, resulting in more pain than from just a puncture alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store