Should I be concerned?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Messy doesn't mean it won't hold, as long as the entire seam is fully covered, it should work.
But the others are definitely right about the plastic not holding, a glass sheet is really the only way to go.
And by the way, I've had a tube of silicone rupture on the wrong end, it's not uncommon.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well I ended up ripping the sheet of acrylic out of bottom corner, replacing it with a glass sheet and redoing the two seams that were bad. Acrylic may not hold long term but it was a chore getting it out! I know its not best to redo some seams but not all of them, but since the silicone was still a little tacky I went for it, but where it joined to the silicone I put down yesterday I made the bead wider so it wasnt just adhering to the drier silicone but to glass as well. Im not too worried because as far as I can tell the sealent between the actual panes of glass is just fine. Resealing this was more of a precaution than anything else. Ill see how it looks in the morning!

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Well I ended up ripping the sheet of acrylic out of bottom corner, replacing it with a glass sheet and redoing the two seams that were bad. Acrylic may not hold long term but it was a chore getting it out! I know its not best to redo some seams but not all of them, but since the silicone was still a little tacky I went for it, but where it joined to the silicone I put down yesterday I made the bead wider so it wasnt just adhering to the drier silicone but to glass as well. Im not too worried because as far as I can tell the sealent between the actual panes of glass is just fine. Resealing this was more of a precaution than anything else. Ill see how it looks in the morning!
For best results you should clean and prep the surface with alcohol or mineral spirits. Something soft that leaves zero residue. In one of your previous posts you said it didnt stick down and came up when you tried smoothing. This is more then likely because the glass was not clean enough so the silicone was not sticking to the glass as well as it was the applicator or your finger.

In the picture you posted it just looks like you messed with it to much after it started to dry. When you are working with silicone smooth it once and don't touch it again it will only mess it up.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, I am sorry if I wasn't clear, I washed it down with alcohol before laying the silicone, the problem that I realized later was that the silcone tube ruptured in the back so it came out very slowly, and dried extra fast. That is why the silicone got messed up when I tried to smooth it out - it was too dry already. I have redone several tanks before, that turned out nicely, this one just was a pain!

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Yeah, I am sorry if I wasn't clear, I washed it down with alcohol before laying the silicone, the problem that I realized later was that the silcone tube ruptured in the back so it came out very slowly, and dried extra fast. That is why the silicone got messed up when I tried to smooth it out - it was too dry already. I have redone several tanks before, that turned out nicely, this one just was a pain!
I've had the tubes bust out of the back before while pumping if I did not pierce the foil on the inside of the applicator tip well enough. Just personal experiences messing things up as well :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store