Feeding piranha mudpuppie?

native

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
minnesota
Would I be able to feed my red belly piranhas a small mud puppie without and harm to the piranhas? Do mudpuppies have spines, poison, disease or parasites that could be transmitted to fish. I got the mudpuppie at a bait shop btw it was with the fathead minnows

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
I assume that its not a mudpuppy its actually a round goby, if it was found with native fish. They may have spines, you might be able to see them just by looking at the texture of the fins.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I assume that its not a mudpuppy its actually a round goby, if it was found with native fish. They may have spines, you might be able to see them just by looking at the texture of the fins.
It would be impossible for a round goby show up in bait stores since the laws do not let bait collectors to collect bait from any water bodies that has invasives. It was probably young tiger salamander.

native

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
minnesota
Tiger salamander larvae looks like it.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Tiger salamanders secrete a mild toxin that is usually not harmful to humans. Have no idea how the toxin may affect your Ps. But, you have to figure that the sals developed their toxicity for a good reason.

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Yeah I think I would avoid feeding the salamander to the fish if I could. Depending on the species some pack pretty nasty toxins.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
It would be impossible for a round goby show up in bait stores since the laws do not let bait collectors to collect bait from any water bodies that has invasives.
I wouldn't count on that. You'd be surprised at how many "uncollectibles" show up in bait shop tanks! ;)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I wouldn't count on that. You'd be surprised at how many "uncollectibles" show up in bait shop tanks! ;)
Like I said the laws do not allow bait collectors taking minnows out of the water bodies where the invasives existed. Technically it is really impossible for a round goby to show up in bait stores due to the laws.

On other hand, some oddballs do show up in the bait shop tanks but they are usually not invasive species like round goby and ruffe.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I'm not saying it should be expected, but it isn't impossible. Laws do get broken, even unintentionally. The law doesn't stop the breaking of it, it only provides for the punishment to follow its breaking. I'm not trying to nit pick or start an argument or cause anyone to think that if they look hard enough they'll find one, just that it's possible.

Not desirable, not likely, just possible. It might be our different areas but I've seen some really surprising things in bait shops and aquariums stores over the years.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I'm not saying it should be expected, but it isn't impossible. Laws do get broken, even unintentionally. The law doesn't stop the breaking of it, it only provides for the punishment to follow its breaking. I'm not trying to nit pick or start an argument or cause anyone to think that if they look hard enough they'll find one, just that it's possible.

Not desirable, not likely, just possible. It might be our different areas but I've seen some really surprising things in bait shops and aquariums stores over the years.
Yes the laws do get broken but there are no evidence that round goby and other Great Lakes invasives show up in the bait stores. The last thing the bait collecter want is a game warden waiting for them at the infested water bodies, give them fines and have their collecting permit provoked.

Also I do see lot of surprising things in bait stores and aquarium stores too, however round goby isn't one of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store