New guy looking for an entertaining fish for my 55g

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
What was your reason for staying away from the Hoplias species?
I'm just telling you to stay away from those bc they will get waaaaay too large for a 55.

That just helps my argument. If the fish is equal to the width of the tank then it should be in a bigger tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That is just the max size. You very rarely see a scomb that's that big. Plus we don't know the dimens of his tank. A standard 55 is usually a foot deep but I've seen other 55's that are deeper. Mine is 15" deep instead of the standard 12"

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
Is there somewhere I can buy the fish online?

i went to my local small fish store and they took my number and will call me.

then I called the larger local fish store that has more exotic type fish and they said they haven't been able to get them for years, or haven't seen them.

i really want one!

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
If you look on eBay you can find some ery's. I dunno about an actual red wolf but most of them are on the smaller side. I just looked and there's a purple and rainbow which you can also keep I'm pretty sure. Just make sure the seller has a really good feedback score

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
If you look on eBay you can find some ery's. I dunno about an actual red wolf but most of them are on the smaller side. I just looked and there's a purple and rainbow which you can also keep I'm pretty sure. Just make sure the seller has a really good feedback score

Are red wolf fish really different from just a common wolf fish?

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
A common wolf is much more aggressive and much larger. They're actually hoplias malabaricus which will grow way too large for your 55

Oh ok, I do like the way the red wolfs look, they're kinda expensive, I hope my local fish store will be able to get me one. Seems like they're more like $65-$80. Without shipping :/

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
I think I can buy like 2 scomb for the price of 1 red wolf, what's the life expectancy for the red wolf?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store