my cockatiels have started having eggs

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
One of the eggs is either hatching, or it may be dead. Egg looks like this:

2012-04-16_12-51-58_85-1.jpg

There are a couple fo tiny little break marks in the dark area. The egg didn't look like this until today. Also, after I noticed it, the parents separated it from the other eggs. anyone have any idea what this means?

2012-04-16_12-51-58_85-1.jpg

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
So what is the latest.. what about the other three eggs..

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry, for the lack of updates. Anyways, here is how things went:

On April 17th, the "dead" looking egg hatched! into a tiny little bird! the next day, I left on vacation to oregon for a week, so I couldn't keep an eye on it.
When I got back on the april 25th, I found out that the baby had grown a ton, and the other three eggs didn't hatch. I think they were bad or died or something.
This baby grew really really fast. cutest little thing. I let the parents raise it, but I've been handling it frequently. the parents don't care that i handle it.
On 5/9, momma bird laid an egg again. a few days later, a second egg.
On 5/14, I checked on them, and found the baby bird had left the nest, and two eggs were broken in the cage. In the nest, there was a fresh egg. The parents are becoming aggressive now.

The baby now has enough feathers to fly, and can fly. I found this out when I opened the cage, and suddenly it flew out, and landed on my hand. The baby loves to come out of the cage, and is extremely friendly. It can already do the "wolf whistle". The baby is still being fed by its parents. The baby has feathers on its head, but mostly just has the little "fluff" feathers on its body, except for the wings and tail which have flight feathers.

One problem I'm having now, is that dad bird is becoming aggressive towards the baby. the dad has bit him at least a couple times, and made him bleed. both of these times though, is because I was too close to the nest box. (he's taking out his anger on the kid for some reason?)

The momma bird has had three more eggs, but one was bad and they destroyed it already. One of them is oddly pointy. The baby bird still goes to sleep in the nest. I'm also worried about the momma bird, because she is usually very shakey. I do my best to get her nutrients, but she is overdoing it with all the eggs so i'm very worried about her.

I have pictures of the baby bird in various stages throughout its life. I'll post them tomorrow sometime.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
thats wonderful that you have a new healthy baby.. it maybe time for the baby to leave the nest..usually when parents start getting aggressive towards their young they want them to move out...lol.. looking forward to pics

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
I honestly don't know yet. It's no question that I want to, but given my situation it may not be a feasible option. I may be moving to portland soon, and it will be difficult enough taking my macaw with me. I already plan on rehoming the parents, and chances are I'll have to do the same with the little baby. All three birds are fairly friendly. But the baby is the nicest. It will make a great pet someday.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store