Snowflake eels

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Tell me about your experiences with snowflake eels! I know all the basics like, escaping, size, etc., but I am especially interested in how they interacted with their tankmates. I know in nature they are not fish eaters, but that in the confines of a tank it happens sometimes, but I guess I am curious just how much of a risk it is. If it is almost for sure they will eater smaller tankmates, I may not do one, but if it is just a small risk I may try one, becasue to be honest I like them better than almost any other SW fish. Tankmates would include an Ocelleris clownfish, Caribbean redspotted hawkfish, large starry blenny, Coral Beauty, butterflyfish, Twospot Goby, and probably either a sixline wrasse or scooter dragonet. The eel I am considering is with a smallish (2-3in) wrasse in the tank at the store, and is probably about 15 inches.

My other question is that I have heard when they smell food and get in a feeding frenzy they will strike at anything, but that they are only supposed to be fed a couple times a week. How do you only feed them that often when other fish in the tank need to be fed every day? Won't they go searching for food every time you feed everyone else?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
A snowflake will eventually eat the smaller fish. I've personally seen a pretty small one eat a relatively large clownfish. If you really want the eel then why not keep it with larger tankmates.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

varakka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
NJ
Mine ate a 6 lined wrasse I never thought it could swallow when it was a baby. It could'nt swallow it whole so it grabbed it, wrapped its tail in a knot, ran the knot up its own body and tore the wrasse to pieces. The problem is you cant guess when they will be hungry. The only fish safe with mine is a tomato clown. This is only because the eel cant get to it due to an anemone. Big tankmates only.

varakka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
NJ
They are great pets. I Love mine. Dont worry if it fasts for a while. Dont hand feed it. Their eyesight is terrible. Mine misses the food and bites the tongs alot. Give it sand to burrow in with very stable or large rocks. They like pvc pipes.

varakka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
NJ
As for the food. You will know when it is hungry. Mine sees me coming up the stairs and will come to the front of the glass if he is hungry. Yes they frienzy. If he isnt hungry he wont care what the other fish are doing or eating. I feed mine 2 times a week or so. If i feed him more often than that he will fast for 2 weeks to a month. When i first got him i over fed him and he fasted for 2 months. Scared me. I now only feed him when he begs for food. You will know what I mean if you get one.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As for the food. You will know when it is hungry. Mine sees me coming up the stairs and will come to the front of the glass if he is hungry. Yes they frienzy. If he isnt hungry he wont care what the other fish are doing or eating. I feed mine 2 times a week or so. If i feed him more often than that he will fast for 2 weeks to a month. When i first got him i over fed him and he fasted for 2 months. Scared me. I now only feed him when he begs for food. You will know what I mean if you get one.
+1 on the frenzy part lol, when had my 180 setup for salt snowflake moray tankmates were lion fish, panther grouper, bamboo catshark. I fed them squid, goldfish feeders at the time was not educated on how bad feeders were for fish, but the lion fish and panther grouper loved to eat them also included frozen krill.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store