Brook Trout Questions

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Did I read that right that you want to keep a parasitic lamprey with your fish? And are you really dedicated to keeping trout? They arent kept in aquariums often due to trouble keeping them healthy(chiller is not cheap initially or to run). The fact you are asking how many 12-14" fish you can put in a 90g and still have room for a lamprey makes me worry

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I kept rainbow trout fingerlings over the summer in my 90 gallon. I did not use a chiller since my basement kept the water temp at around 65 degrees and they did fine. I had a powerhead rated for a 125 in it and they loved the current. I orginally wanted brookies but unless you're willing to buy a chiller they're not worth it. I will say though the trout were pretty boring fish. They pretty much just swam in place across the back of my tank and occasionally the largest one would chase one of the smaller fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Did I read that right that you want to keep a parasitic lamprey with your fish? And are you really dedicated to keeping trout? They arent kept in aquariums often due to trouble keeping them healthy(chiller is not cheap initially or to run). The fact you are asking how many 12-14" fish you can put in a 90g and still have room for a lamprey makes me worry
Not sea lampreys which are parasitic, I was considering one of the substrate feeding species that are often found around me in local rivers when I collect. I'm willing to put money and time forward to keeping trout but at this point like I said before I think I'll wait for my 180 gallon before attempting any species since my basement tanks will never really go above 70 or so at any point. And I mean I'd grow them out in this tank until 12-14" then upgrade, I'd get them as fingerlings.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Most all lamprey migrate from fresh to salt and all are parasitic to my knowledge. Ive caught trout with lamprey on them.

Not my pic but I certainly wouldnt want my fish to go through this constantly or to even look at it

lampreys-suck-fish-picture.jpg

lampreys-suck-fish-picture.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh I was thinking of juvenile lampreys. According to a nanfa article Ohio Lampreys are the only species which can be weaned off their parasitic tendencies as adults and often take meaty foods instead.

cupfishhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Most all lamprey migrate from fresh to salt and all are parasitic to my knowledge. Ive caught trout with lamprey on them.
Most of all lamprey species are freshwater and most of them are actually non-parasitic. To my knowledge when I studied them in college there were 46 total worldwide of which only 5 are saltwater, and all of them are parasitic. The remaining 41 are freshwater and of those only 13 are parasitic, which means 28 are non parasitic, also called Brook Lampreys. They are the ones he is referring too the juveniles are referred to as ammocoetes. They live in the sediment in backwaters and filter feed for several years without a buccal disk/sucker mouth. Then they metamorphose during the winter to adults and look like your typical lamprey sucker mouth but they are semelparous so they breed and then consequently die without eating as adults.

Also for keeping the trout in an aquarium is pretty rough as the warmer temps usually lead to disease. If you would like to know more check out some of the local fish hatcheries in PA. They stock millions of trout and while they have lots of neat ways to raise them they typically use springs to keep them cooler and avoid disease. If your going to try it then def do the rainbows as the can take temp to low 60's as long as the O2 is high enough.

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Interesting... i know a guy with native riffle tank that is about 3' wide 3' tall and 5' long. He has a lot of beautiful natives in it. Plus two 7" brooks. Its a awesome tank. It's about 60°, so he keeps it real cold. That might be why they all get along...

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
Most of all lamprey species are freshwater and most of them are actually non-parasitic. To my knowledge when I studied them in college there were 46 total worldwide of which only 5 are saltwater, and all of them are parasitic. The remaining 41 are freshwater and of those only 13 are parasitic, which means 28 are non parasitic, also called Brook Lampreys. They are the ones he is referring too the juveniles are referred to as ammocoetes. They live in the sediment in backwaters and filter feed for several years without a buccal disk/sucker mouth. Then they metamorphose during the winter to adults and look like your typical lamprey sucker mouth but they are semelparous so they breed and then consequently die without eating as adults.

Also for keeping the trout in an aquarium is pretty rough as the warmer temps usually lead to disease. If you would like to know more check out some of the local fish hatcheries in PA. They stock millions of trout and while they have lots of neat ways to raise them they typically use springs to keep them cooler and avoid disease. If your going to try it then def do the rainbows as the can take temp to low 60's as long as the O2 is high enough.
ya, most ppl think all lampreys are parasitic, but its just the ignorance, the more you know

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store