My dance with the devils

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Lol I've always wondered why they do that. It's definitely a going thing.

I love that Indian so much. His markings are incredible!

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Haha no clue but I noticed they do that when there's little to no flow. Whenever given a strong powerhead I've never seen goonches do this but when there is none, they seem to do it all the time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Ya know, that's consistent with my observations as well. When mine was in the flow, she'd park herself happily pointing into the flow.

Sometimes she'd hide under the power heads where there was no flow, and she'd post up like that.

Great observation.

It likely has something to do with the sit and wait feeding method of these fish. In the absence of current, they would probably post up on structure likely to affect the swimming habits of their prey.

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Makes sense. When a fish approaches they can just dart forward and snag it mid "flight"

Here's a shot of the front of the little guy. I couldn't get a side pic but I'll see how he's positioned when I get home from work. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1419003809.030723.jpg

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Good to see you're full force back into the goonch game. These ones look incredible and I'm sure they'll grow to be monsters.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
That pic was useful, but more is always better. I'm actually thinking that fish is a dwarf, but I don't feel confident about calling it yet.

My reason for thinking this is because the anterior portion of the anal fin is significantly in front of the origin of the adipose fin. In any other species but the HLG, they are roughly the same. However, we have absolutely zero experienced with confirmed rutilus at this size in the hobby. Your fish -- and indeed the entire dwarf variety -- may end up being juvenile rutilus (though I truly believe that is NOT the case). THIS fish may be a juvenile rutilus even if the dwarfs do exist.

Unfortunately, I can't tell just yet. While we know that larger rutilus have their adipose and anal fin origins at roughly the same place, I suppose it could move some as the fish grows. In this regard, I feel that your little fish is critically important to advancing our knowledge in the hobby. I suspect that yours is a close match to the confirmed dwarf that Matt had, and I'm really hoping that this fish lives long enough to grow out and answer our questions.

View attachment 1052368

That's Matt's dwarf in a tank. As you can see, other than the color, the minor head shape difference and the staggered fins, it looks just like a rutilus. You can see why I'm proceeding very carefully when making proclamations about this little guy!

Maybe once I move I could take some pics of him with my good camera.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Haha oh man! Why'd you have to say that?! So much pressure on me with this guy now haha

That info is extremely informative and I really hope I don't **** this up somehow. Hopefully it is a dwarf 😄

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store