Four year old and some sharks (Lots of pics)

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
thats crazy imho... either could take her arm no? can you enlighten me on how/why this is ok?
Questions like this are why I posted this. I am expecting them, and this is why I helped set up the shark interaction program as an educational tool for the public to see first hand what sharks are really about.

It's only crazy if you believe what they tell you on shark week or other ratings grabbing media outlets. Sharks are not mindless killers, they are not over aggressive monsters of the marine world. Sharks are highly intelligent and many species are very social. These sharks are a great example of what most sharks really are. They willingly come in and are part of an operant conditioning program. Sharks bite out of fear as a last resort or when looking for food. These sharks are well aware of who feeds them and where they are fed. All five sharks in this programs are fed only on the white bench by a glove. They do not associate the brown benches or other people with food in any way shape or form. These sharks have all be hand raised since they were pups. They are also not going to look at humans as a food source. Nurse sharks feed on small crabs, shrimp, squid and small fish in the wild. Messing with something bigger than it is goes against the way a shark thinks.

As for the gator, my daughter was never in any harm, nor could she be in contact with the gator. The flower was given to the gator by husbandry staff on one side of the exhibit, and given the command (verbal and visual) to take it to the other side. Once the gator was there, she passed the flower (undamaged) through the opening to the staff (who then handed it to my daughter). She was not interacting directly with the gator.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
As for teeth on a nurse, nurse sharks don't rely on teeth like fish eating sharks do. They rely on the muscles that create suction, and allow them to draw prey (like conch) out of their shells, or octopus out of holes in the reef.
I don't have an example from a shark the size of these sub-adults. I do have teeth from adult nurse sharks. These are about three times larger than the teeth of the sharks we were in with over the weekend. It gives you an idea of how small they are.

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
That pond is a really neat setup with the bench in the middle. It looks like a great way to interact with the sharks and a great way to debunk myths about them. How long has the program been up and running?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
It's been in progress for a couple of years, but really got it's feet under it last Summer. The public interactions are becoming more and more popular as time passes. I think by Next Summer, it will really take off. They are currently doing a couple of interactions a day for the public.

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Love the pic's. It's nice to see you and your wife passing on the passion that you 2 seem to have with sharks to your little girl.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
this is a wonderful way to bring forth knowledge on the subject matt. what a lucky girl to have you and your wife with your vast experience and once in a lifetime kind of moments to partake in! i personally applaud you, and know that you would in no way put your daughter in harm's way. sadly, as you well know, the media makes creatures seem much more violent and deadly than they truly are on a regular basis. it's all ratings driven. keep up the good work!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Thanks!!

I'm sure there will be more threads as she gets older. Right now we're working on the whole "breathe through a snorkel" concept for her. Currently when we go snorkeling on the reef or grass flats in the Keys, she rides my back and will put her face in the water with a mask on to see the fish, but doesn't like to have the snorkel.....yet.

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
It's not her first time being around sharks, or even touching them... But Jaden is finally old enough to understand safely being in the water with them. She wasn't 100% sure of them at first, and Mom had to sit with her awhile. Up to this point she's been above a tank looking down to feed and touch them. Sitting in the water was a whole new world for her.

She may have also hung out with an alligator, who gave her a flower.

This is awesome!!! What species are those small fish schooling around the sharks? Mullet? Silversides? If you can give an ID that would be great

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
This is awesome!!! What species are those small fish schooling around the sharks? Mullet? Silversides? If you can give an ID that would be great

Mostly various killifish that are found naturally in almost all slow moving coastal waters in the Keys. There are a few pilchard, jennies and mojarra in there as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store