Updated Gar photos/tank

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'll have to look into getting the hikari sticks. I plan on having a mixed diet, figure one day shrimp,one day tilapia filet and the others ill do the pellets if i can get them to take to it. Injecting feeders with needles nutrients has become such a pain in the ass i cant wait to get them on even just fillets. There is a company fairly close to me where i can get used equipment for the right price, so i will be getting it overtime. My main concern is getting good live rock. Seems like you have the perfect situation. Your live rock will already be essentially cured and ready to go.
Make sure you get jumbo carni sticks, I found just the normal sticks were too small. I wish fish stores here sold used, big Al's can't as their a chain store or whatever their excuse is but if they get something given to.them you often get it for free:) there's a lot of nice reef tanks in my area and most times people are looking to give it all to one place, the last guy I talked too sold his live rock for 1$ a pound! It was full of mushrooms, coraline algae, some zoanthids, and lots of other corals.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Wow thats nuts, i've never seen deals like that by me. Yeah i was checking out the Jumbo carni sticks already how long did the big bag last you. On their website they state it is equivalent to something along the lines of 2800 gold fish. One question about the tilapia fillets is how big are the chunks you would feed them? Should the fillet be fresh from the seafood section or is frozen acceptable. If you let me know what you are looking for as far as aquarium equipment goes i can look around here for used and send them up to you. I ship to Canada all the time, I would just have to figure out what the harmonized code was for everything you wanted shipped and whip together a commercial invoice. If you chose to ship with FedEx it would be fairly simple to have them clear the freight. Best case scenario i see if i can use my company account and save some money. I cannot say for certain they would allow me to utilize their account.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Wow thats nuts, i've never seen deals like that by me. Yeah i was checking out the Jumbo carni sticks already how long did the big bag last you. On their website they state it is equivalent to something along the lines of 2800 gold fish. One question about the tilapia fillets is how big are the chunks you would feed them? Should the fillet be fresh from the seafood section or is frozen acceptable. If you let me know what you are looking for as far as aquarium equipment goes i can look around here for used and send them up to you. I ship to Canada all the time, I would just have to figure out what the harmonized code was for everything you wanted shipped and whip together a commercial invoice. If you chose to ship with FedEx it would be fairly simple to have them clear the freight. Best case scenario i see if i can use my company account and save some money. I cannot say for certain they would allow me to utilize their account.
Yea I couldn't believe it. I was only able to buy the 6.87oz bags and that would last me around a month feeding 2 tanks. I'm sure with the larger bag and 3 gars you could stretch it to 3 months while feeding shrimp and tilapia a little more often. That goldfish label I do remember, whether I believe it is a different story. My tilapia fillets were always frozen, I thawed them out and I cut them in nice size strips. I would say they were 2" longx1/2" wide strips. Depending on the prices you may be able to find tilapia fresh for a better deal, I never could as the closest seafood market was 1.5hours away.I will pm you about the equipment thing, that would be very helpful so thank you

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Thanks for all the information. Been a huge help. What kind of filter were you running on your 200g? I am currently running a fluval 306 which has no problem keeping up. Ammonia always zero, nitrates are right were i want them. Perfect water conditions. That being said with introducing additional gar into the tank i can only imagine what the BOI load is going to be like. My tank is loaded with common pond snails however. I have found they are awesome for consuming the extra fish waste and also they aggregate the substrate allowing roots to expand easier. I am thinking a fluval FX6 would be good, i want something i can slap on a 200 gallon plus tank when it comes time to upgrade and have it able to handle the load. At what length did your gar start fattening up. Mine is still rather slender. Once i get your PM ill be on the lookout for you. Duties and taxes should be next to nothing as I can will keep the number down on the commercial invoice.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the information. Been a huge help. What kind of filter were you running on your 200g? I am currently running a fluval 306 which has no problem keeping up. Ammonia always zero, nitrates are right were i want them. Perfect water conditions. That being said with introducing additional gar into the tank i can only imagine what the BOI load is going to be like. My tank is loaded with common pond snails however. I have found they are awesome for consuming the extra fish waste and also they aggregate the substrate allowing roots to expand easier. I am thinking a fluval FX6 would be good, i want something i can slap on a 200 gallon plus tank when it comes time to upgrade and have it able to handle the load. At what length did your gar start fattening up. Mine is still rather slender. Once i get your PM ill be on the lookout for you. Duties and taxes should be next to nothing as I can will keep the number down on the commercial invoice.
I was running 3 eheims. 2 pro 3 2075 and a pro 2 2028 all full of the eheim media. And fx6 would be a good filter but I never gave fluval a chance. My first canister was a free leaking eheim and with a bit of silicone I was sold for life. Gar started putting on the girth around 14'. Thanks again, I'll try to pm you soon, once moving houses is settled.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Stuff down here used is pretty cheap. the 55 I have the gar in now was free. My parents brought it up from Fla. about 7 or 8 years ago. everyone down there has tanks. The 150 the gar is going into was free from a friend.

A lot of FX5 filters go for less then 100 bux used down here in the states when you can find them locally. I just passed laste month on 1000.00 dollars worth of stuff ( retail) for 300.00 getting things up to Canada isn't a problem like OHIOMFK said. even postal shipping isn't to bad as long as it isn't supper heavy.

Back on track .......

I've been trying for the last 3 days to feed this gar tilapia off the end of a skewer stick. he's only shown interest in it once. Mostly just turns and glides the other way. Hasn't taken any yet.
I think it's due to the fact that he still has live food in the tank to eat. If I can ever get him to eat tilapia on a regular basis I'll try to get him on pellets.

That would be less of a hassle for me. Then i can just give him the odd feeders once a week when he slows down growing.
Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Stuff down here used is pretty cheap. the 55 I have the gar in now was free. My parents brought it up from Fla. about 7 or 8 years ago. everyone down there has tanks. The 150 the gar is going into was free from a friend.

A lot of FX5 filters go for less then 100 bux used down here in the states when you can find them locally. I just passed laste month on 1000.00 dollars worth of stuff ( retail) for 300.00 getting things up to Canada isn't a problem like OHIOMFK said. even postal shipping isn't to bad as long as it isn't supper heavy.

Back on track .......

I've been trying for the last 3 days to feed this gar tilapia off the end of a skewer stick. he's only shown interest in it once. Mostly just turns and glides the other way. Hasn't taken any yet.
I think it's due to the fact that he still has live food in the tank to eat. If I can ever get him to eat tilapia on a regular basis I'll try to get him on pellets.

That would be less of a hassle for me. Then i can just give him the odd feeders once a week when he slows down growing.
Rich
Wait till all the feeders in the tank are gone, then wait till the next day and begin feeding tilapia. Once eating tilapia then try the skewer stick

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Thanks, i plan on adding another Gar or two in a week or so, the growth in the tank has been incredible since last picture i took. ill take updates with the new gar once someone in the area has them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store