Flyriver turtle concern...

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Great advice Simcan. That substrate also looks a bit rough for the underbelly of a FRT. You may also want to consider that these turtles seem to require/do better in brackish water as they grow.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
Great advice Simcan. That substrate also looks a bit rough for the underbelly of a FRT. You may also want to consider that these turtles seem to require/do better in brackish water as they grow.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
My LFS guy tells me that better than going for a sand substrate, it would be better off if i kept it bare coz i'm running an external canister filter (FX5); the rays would throw the sand around, letting it get sucked into the filter and there by causing damage to the filter resulting in a failure, and there by killing off the rays before i even realize the filter has gone kaput!!! :nutkick:

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
My LFS guy tells me that better than going for a sand substrate, it would be better off if i kept it bare coz i'm running an external canister filter (FX5); the rays would throw the sand around, letting it get sucked into the filter and there by causing damage to the filter resulting in a failure, and there by killing off the rays before i even realize the filter has gone kaput!!! :nutkick:
I would not do bare bottom. I had mine in a bare bottom tank for a short time and it was always chasing it's reflection on the bottom. I also think it is recommended in several other threads and the sticky not to keep them on bare bottom. How far off the bottom is the fx5 intake? I would suggest raising it depending on height and switch to PFS. Your rays will also thank you for the switch.

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Are the rays bellies pinkish also? Im no expert but looks like some coarse substrate ya got there...

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
I would not do bare bottom. I had mine in a bare bottom tank for a short time and it was always chasing it's reflection on the bottom. I also think it is recommended in several other threads and the sticky not to keep them on bare bottom. How far off the bottom is the fx5 intake? I would suggest raising it depending on height and switch to PFS. Your rays will also thank you for the switch.
i should think along those line if it REALLY poses an issue!
wats PFS???

Are the rays bellies pinkish also? Im no expert but looks like some coarse substrate ya got there...
The ray's bellies r as pink as they normally would b, nothin extraordinary to suggest soreness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store