Convict cichlids

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
It can work. Just set up some fake plants or some kind of ornament or decoration and put them in a back corner of the tank. The convict will claim this spot for spawning and protect this area. Everyone will learn to stay away from said area and you should be fine. I don't think convict a mean fish, but they are very territorial when breeding. As long as you give them a corner to call home and other fish stay out of their section everything should be fine. Convicts are less concerned with attacking fish and more concerned with protecting their babies. IMHO

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
I actually bought a clay pot from Home Depot, used a hammer and chipped off piece of the lip to make a hole big enough for the convict to get in and they call this home and even raise their babies in it to protect them from the other fish in my tank, Oscars. Fry never make it to become adults but hey. They try their best to protect them, If I didn't have oscars I think they would survive.

powerfulLANCE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
I have a 20 gallon just for my convict pair. It seems like just enough space, and there is no issues towards the other fish in my main tank.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I had a breeding pair of convicts a female convict and a leopoldi stingray in a 450 gallon. Convicts beat up the stingray so we got them out.

They are mean!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I had 3 different pairs of breeding convicts in 29 gal. tanks and I feed the fry to my bigger fish if I can't sell them, for some reason the males started killing the females as soon as they would spawn, then the male would eat all the fry too, has anyone ever heard of this?

It happened to all 3 pairs!!! Yes each pair was in their own tank by themselves...

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
The tetras will be ok the gouramies are a no go. Check out Honduran red points. Look allot like convicts less aggressive and more colorful in my opinion. I had a HRP pair and fire mouth pair breed in a 75 gallon at the same time and everyone was fine.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I had 3 different pairs of breeding convicts in 29 gal. tanks and I feed the fry to my bigger fish if I can't sell them, for some reason the males started killing the females as soon as they would spawn, then the male would eat all the fry too, has anyone ever heard of this?

It happened to all 3 pairs!!! Yes each pair was in their own tank by themselves...
When we got the convicts out from our stingray tank [because they were supposed to be food for the stingray] we put the breeding pair in a 4 gallon because we were going to sell them at an auction in 3 days. Then the male attacked the female and we moved the female in her own recovery tank. About 1 day later the female convict died.

The male did not eat the babies because they were moved to their own 10 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store