Algae in a Planted Vieja Tank

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
There's a lot of debate (internet) on how long the light stays good before going downhill but I would try to rotate bulbs maybe one every 6 months?

That way you dont have as much of an intensity swing like if you were to replace both at once.

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Speaking of too much nitrate..

I just got back on a regular 50%water change schedule and im DOWN to 40ppm approx according to api test kit.

Im not adding nitrates either.

And my hygro kompact just grew 4 leaves within 2 weeks! And my crypts are beginning to grow new leaves. Bizarre

signature

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Any progress ragin?

signature

agentkhiem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Why
Nice tank. I would agree that shortening the light cycle is the safest way. I read somewhere by Tom Barr that algae is caused by lack of nutrients and poor Co2. I don't know if that's the case here, but I thought I would point that out.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Progress? Not really. So with 7 hours a day of two T8 fixtures with 6500K bulbs, and the EI dosing, I still have algae. Got a nice light brown coating on the new Anubias plants. The Hygrophila and Bolbitis got eaten--no trace of them in the tank. Fish are nipping at tbe new Anybias leaves when they sprout. But at least I'm getting new leaves. The Melon Sword is melting away one leaf at a time, no new leaves yet. The Crypt did nothing yet--all but 2 leaves melted away. Java Fern has done nothing. And oddly, the Jungle Val's that USED to grow awesome stopped growing and they're melting away one leaf at a time, though that was happening before I cut back on the lighting. I just put in some better quality root tabs under the Val's hoping that'll help. Other than that I'm not sure what to try next other than getting all the Vieja out or buying a nice CO2 setup and going back to medium-high lighting again.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
So you're getting diatom brown algae now and your other plants are melting?

Have you always had the brown algae?

signature

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Whatever kinda algae this is, I've had since day 1 in this tank. I don't what kind it is. It's brown color on the leaves of the plants now, while it's new and light. As it get heavier--on rocks and older plants, it gets a very dark purple color--DARK purple. I let go on a big rock in the middle of the tank, and it got just long enough to see it undulate as the water moved over it. You thinking treat the tank with an algaecide? I was thinking about trying that, but I don't know what to use. There's different types of "algae", and you have to know what kind you have?

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Does it look like this?

This is beard algae. Too much light not enough circulation low or fluctuating co2.
Ive been trying to get rid of this for EVER.

The brown stuff is different . Diatoms. If you can brush it off

signature

uploadfromtaptalk1405978738691.jpg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
No it's not like yours. Mine is not that long, all uniform length, looks like an even short carpet--like brownish purple astro-turf. Yours is more like a shag carpet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store