Air freshener for stinky fish room

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I don't mean to get off topic but, Isn't a dehumidifier in a fish room kind of a waste? Their job is to pull moisture from the air so with a bunch of tanks, it's not going to dry air and going to suck up a ton of electricity. Excuse my ignorance but am I missing something?
My tanks have pretty good seal with glass tops so the amount of evaporation from the tanks is minimal , my dehumidifier has a humidistat set at 50%.
With summers here, outside humidity in July and August is sometimes > 60% .. so any relief in the fish room is welcome.

To the OP the only smells I get in the fish room are from the food itself. I feed a lot of massivore , NLS thera + and garlic soaked soft foods..

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I don't mean to get off topic but, Isn't a dehumidifier in a fish room kind of a waste? Their job is to pull moisture from the air so with a bunch of tanks, it's not going to dry air and going to suck up a ton of electricity. Excuse my ignorance but am I missing something?
Yes, they use a lot of hydro. That is pennies compared to mold damage.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
No it's not cleaning or the related. Tanks are cleaned weekly and I only have 2 fish and I feed once a day if their lucky. I'm starting to think the problem is there's no air circulation in the room. No windows and the doors closed 99% of the day. Hawaii is humid during the summer so everything starts to sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
No windows Brah? You live in dakine hut? Haha

circulation is key for you, need that door open and use a strong fan to move that air around, preferably pulling fresh air from outside

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
That is what I found. Like others have reported, with a heavy enough dehumidifier (1,500W) with a large enough water collection bin, I was easily able to keep the air in my fish room "dry".

I have not turned it on in a couple of years now. I was going through dozens of gallons of water a day, and electricity through the yin yang. I am running nearly 30 tanks.

What is far worse, it had less than ZERO impact on reducing the "black mold" build-up one iota!!!!!!!!!!!

I do understand the " Dehumidifier cost" vs. " Professional mold removal service" argument. I however do ABSOLUTELY NOT buy into the ridiculous uber panic surrounding the merest presence of "mold" in an area like this.

OK so what professionally "redoing" a room that has a spot of black mold in a $100,000 house costs $80,000. A bottle of Lysol and a sponge mop costs less than $10, and will "re-do" the room 100+ times.

There is a reason for a FISH ROOM. There is also a reason why you SHOULD NOT put your kitchen or sleeping areas in, or directly next to without an environmental partition, your fish room(s).

Just my 2 cents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store