RidX as a probiotic in your system

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
That is some very interesting information David.

What product would you recommend to add good bacteria in a ray tank and why?

Also, is adding this bacteria on a regular basis actually beneficial? Or is it a waste of time and money?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
Scott.
IMO adding purchased bacteria, even nitrosonomas, is never necessary, even for initial cycling of a new tank ( add water, filter and pure ammonia, wait a couple weeks.......).........because the bacteria you need (Nitrosonomas) are ubiquitous on this planet....all you have to do is provide them with a place to live/prosper ( i.e. inside a dark filter with its of oxygenated water flow).
All bacteria(spores) sold for this are a way to separate you from your money.

With all Amazon fish, that come FROM SOME OF THE CLEANEST PUREST low pH NON-BACTERIAL waters on this planet....if there is something wrong then the answer is to remove things from the water NOT TO ADD THEM.

RAYS and all scaleless fish even more so!!!!

in effect addition by subtraction

ps.
the dose used by my friend was 1tbs per 100 gallons of the dried powdered product that is described in the fact sheet I originally posted and is by name recommended in the other thread suggested by Rodger. One again people jump to the wrong conclusion ......aka cognitive bias at its most egregious.
Anaerobic = stagnant

I am telling you that if you use that stuff now, after what I have told you, then you will deserve any troubles you get......and it is not 'IF' it is 'WHEN'

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Agree with everything you said, DavidW.

I followed that thread in the Sticky and everybody is saying how great RidX was, but I guess I was the only one who lost fish after trying it. I lost 5 Orange Head Tapajos. I can't say for sure it was the RidX (correlation does not equal causation) but it was the only major change in my tank over 2 years prior and 1 year since, and it was the only die off I had in that 3 years.

Bottom line for me is why add anything but clean oxygenated water. Keep your filters clean and tankwater clean through changes/drip and that's all you need unless a specific fish needs to be quarantined and medicated.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
This sounds just like many of the UV conversations on here. People think that just cause they run a UV means it actually does something. Truth is most are far too small to sterilize anything. But spending the money makes them feel like they are doing something good for their fish when in reality IF they really wanted to do something good they'd admit they don't know what they need and seek professional advice to understand how the stuff works and in turn what will actually work best in their application. Which in this case would probably lead to people not using Ridx.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Here's a question that comes to mind. Would it be beneficial to run these types of products of you use a denitrate tube? Those host more anaerobic bacteria?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, I agree. THINK people, THINK

Which is exactly why I stated the following in the sticky:

Please Note - If anyone tries this in their tanks, please make certain that the products are 100% organic, biodegradable, and non-toxic, and do NOT contain any types of surfactants, perfumes, etc.
and ......

As demonstrated in the various products in the following link, the Bacillus genus is the main bacteria family used in septic tank formulas.

http://www.bio-cat.com/products

It is also the main *probiotic* bacteria family used in aquaculture formulas, including probiotic fish food formulas.

With regards to growth performance, immune response, or out-competing pathogenic bacteria via competitive exclusion, as stated previously the science is still in its infancy - and could be highly subjective to species, as well as the growth stage of species, etc-etc.

That leaves us with improving water quality (by increased waste reduction), which again places the bacillus genus of probiotic bacteria as #1. So while one may never be privy to the proprietary information regarding most of these various septic tank products, it's safe to say that the vast majority of them will all be based on the Bacillus genus of *probiotic* bacteria, with a few in-house tweaks & twists with some of the various septic cleaner brands.

The main thing is using a product that is 100% organic, biodegradable, and non-toxic. That doesn't mean that you should feed it to your dog, or dump the contents of 10 packages into a 5 gallon tank full of guppies.

I also posted a number of links, which explain in great detail the conclusions that those in the aquatic scientific community have made in regards to these exact types of probiotics.

I personally do NOT use Rid-X, and never have, nor have I ever recommended its use, but I do have close friends that use the exact same probiotics that I use (designed for ponds, and locally manufactured) in their tanks, that contain black rays, asian aros, and many other exotic species, and over a year later have not experienced a single negative issue.

One again people jump to the wrong conclusion ......aka cognitive bias at its most egregious.

Which is exactly what you did when you jumped to the conclusion that RidX caused the death of your friends rays.

Reactions: BichirKing

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
so folks...given all of the above disclaimers will you still promote using RidX in your RAY tanks?

RD.
Anthrax is also a bacillus bacteria...so is Vibrio...other bacilli produce antibiotics..they can be aerobic or they can be anaerobic.....it is a massive category a whole firkin genus..266 species..with so many variations that simply 'bacillus' is imo vague to the point of meaningless. Its as simplistic as saying that 'fish like water' as a complete guide to keeping fish.

'Bacillus' simply means 'rod shaped'. Again, these bacteria are ubiquitous in nature, no need to buy them in a box of dried tweaked spores, no need to look for them or pay for them...they'll find you if you provide them with suitable accommodations! :)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/47965/bacillus

short cuts are always long twisting roads to nowhere.

all anyone has to do is change water change water change water.....

"I know you are but what am I" gets tired quickly....

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
Which is exactly what you did when you jumped to the conclusion that RidX caused the death of your friends rays.

That's not quite what I said tho is it! Use of words is important!

Here:

He lost $$$thouands of dollars in livestock.
In my opinion more than partly due to adding RidX in his system, coupled with less than ideal water pH and hardness.......
:screwy:
so: it contributed, along with other issues...stress added to stress piled on top of stress = sick and dying fish.
It is a reason I don't think hard water is anywhere near as suitable as many say, nor pH above 7.....in that it is ok until it isn't...but then its a total calamity instead of just a minor thing...every time....

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ah yes, the world according to DavidW who also believes that one cannot (and further, should not) keep rays in hard water, or pH above 7. But it's ok to keep them in a glass box full of tap water, because of course that's more akin to their natural native environment, where the water runs clear & clean and no form of bacteria exists. Sure, ok.

And quite right, that's not exactly what you said, but it was obviously the intent of your "the sky is falling" discussion here. BTW - some of those same ray keepers that I know also used septic tank bacteria for several months prior to switching brands/formulas with zero health issues in any of their fish, scalesss, or otherwise. It's a product available at the local Walmart here in Canada. (Septobac)

As always, some seriously good entertainment value in your posts, but never any facts to back up any of your views.

But hey, it's a free world, people can do what they feel is best for their fish, and themselves.

Cheers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store