GROWTH THREAD: for Red Devil, Green Terror and Jack Dempsey

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Thanks. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself by naming the RD Jason.

***125 GALLON: 1 Red Devil, 1 Jack Dempsey and 1 Green Terror.
60 GALLON: 1 Vieja Syn and 1 Flowerhorn.***

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Thanks I Love the red devil. The aggression is starting to show but Its not too bad yet. I have to move the GT because my jack dempsey hates him.

Wow, a 6 foot tank isn't enough? Guess there's no amount of space sufficient if a fish just completely hates another.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Ikr I thought a 6ft tank would be fine for the 3 of them but I don't think it will

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Wow, a 6 foot tank isn't enough? Guess there's no amount of space sufficient if a fish just completely hates another.
that is correct lol. My red devil/midas cross was the meanest sob that I ever saw, even at only an inch long he nearly killed a 1.5 inch oscar in 15 minutes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Below is a typical territory defended by a young adult JD in cenote Cristallino in Mexico. It is about 4 ft long, 4 ft wide(although it tapers a bit), and 4ft deep (the equivalent of @250gallons).
The rocks surrounding it are the size of compact cars.

Other than eating the fry, it doesn't worry about the live bearers, but any other JD than a receptive female(or any other cichlid) is chased out.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I would live to have a wild JD like that

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Almost two months later: Red devil is 2 inches bigger, jack dempsey is 1 inch bigger and green terror is 0 inches bigger.... Something is wrong with this picture...

***My hobby is like a flower on a plant. They make the plant look beautiful and feel Proud. ***

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
GTs take f--o--r--e--v--e--r to grow lol sometimes Jacks take a while to grow as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Yeah, red devils and oscars spoil a lot of people if they're their first fish. They grow rapidly in length and put on lots of mass after that. Always growing.

My GT only grew about an inch in 6 ish months after he reached around 6". My firemouth, purchased at about 1", is currently 3.5-3.75" after about 19 months.

My flowerhorn on the other hand, was purchased in June of this year at barely 1". He/she is now 3", getting quite stocky, and has some mean teeth coming in.

That being said, stress from aggression does come into play. Either the GT is just exhibiting the slow growth or may be growing even slower because of the JD's aggressiveness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store