Could this work?

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
You may be getting more than you bargain for by keeping a pair of bocourti in a 125 (assuming you can find a compatible pair, even by growing out a small group). They max out at around 35cm and are more feisty than pearsei. I have a bocourti in each of two 210 gallon mixed CA communities. Both are around 5 inches, and they regularly challenge others in the tank. Their aggression so far hasn't resulted in any noteworthy damage, but that may come as they increase in size. I agree that C. nanoluteus are too small and peaceful to put in the same tank. Perhaps Archocentrus centrarchus, Honduran redpoints, or firemouths?

IMG_4276 copy.JPG

2014 03_13 copy.JPG

2014 04_07 copy.JPG

2014 05_05 copy.JPG

IMG_4276 copy.JPG

2014 04_07 copy.JPG

2014 05_05 copy.JPG

2014 03_13 copy.JPG

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
You may be getting more than you bargain for by keeping a pair of bocourti in a 125 (assuming you can find a compatible pair, even by growing out a small group). They max out at around 35cm and are more feisty than pearsei. I have a bocourti in each of two 210 gallon mixed CA communities. Both are around 5 inches, and they regularly challenge others in the tank. Their aggression so far hasn't resulted in any noteworthy damage, but that may come as they increase in size. I agree that C. nanoluteus are too small and peaceful to put in the same tank. Perhaps Archocentrus centrarchus, Honduran redpoints, or firemouths?

View attachment 1028516

View attachment 1028519

View attachment 1028517

View attachment 1028518
One of the big reasons I like the pearsei and bocourti is because, generally speaking, they are personable and their temperament in a community tank (not taking conspecifics into account) is reported numerous times as a species that doesn't bother others but also stands its ground when challenged (a quality I really like).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
One of the big reasons I like the pearsei and bocourti is because, generally speaking, they are personable and their temperament in a community tank (not taking conspecifics into account) is reported numerous times as a species that doesn't bother others but also stands its ground when challenged (a quality I really like).
Their favorable temperament is true to an extent, although my bocourti usually initiate contests. The good news is that (so far) they do not drive home the point. They challenge, display, bluff, and sometimes chase, but (usually) without with the requisite nasty bite common in Vieja/Paraneetroplus. I really enjoy them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have about 15-20 tanks up and running, and always a few either empty or full of water but no fish, and in line on a sump, ready and waiting in case something pops up unexpectedly, that I have on my wish list.
My sumps usually have biowheels floating around, and submerged containers of sand and rocks, at the ready so no new cycling is needed.

Your photos are always awesome, duanes. How many tanks do you have?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Chuco, nicaraguense, perhaps lyonsi, and/or Astatheros.

Paraneetroplus, parachromis, most amphilophus, and nandopsis would be too aggressive to small CA cichlids.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Chuco, nicaraguense, perhaps lyonsi, and/or Astatheros.

Paraneetroplus, parachromis, most amphilophus, and nandopsis would be too aggressive to small CA cichlids.
Funny you mention them, but I was just checking in to see what everyone thought of lyonsi. LOL

From the videos and pictures I've seen, lyonsi don't seem to get the nuchal hump like other amphs do (or at least not nearly as predominant).

So here is what I've been thinking. I will have a 75 setup here in a few days for some small stock. The plan is to have another 125 up and running in 3-4 months. I would really like to have a couple pairs of 8-12" cichlids that are pretty personable.

Which pair would do better (from a spousal abuse standpoint) in the 75, the carpintis or lyonsi? In other words, which species has the stronger pair bond? Or would neither of these species work as a pair in the 75?

What is the likelihood that the bocourti have a strong enough pair bond to be kept without any target fish in the 125 successfully?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
It's always hit or miss if you don't do the divider method which ruins the look of the tank imo. Folks always say parachromis have the strongest bonds. I've seen Hartwegi do well.

I've had bad luck keeping bonds strong in isolation. Even my loisellei bond is weak. Had Thorichthys bonds fail as well. You name it.

I think it's a gamble either. Im trying pikes right now.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with mrrobxc, its always a krappshoot.
Sometimes a bond won't hold up unless there are other cichlids or dithers in the tank to focus aggression on.
Without other threats, the aggression is often turned toward the partner.
When breeding there is always a heightened aggression level that may be brought on by hormones which are produced to help defend the spawn from predators in nature, and just because the pair is in an aquarium doesn't mean that excess aggression causing hormone goes away.
I had a pair of carpintus successfully spawn twice in a 75 gal, with a few other carpintus on the other side of a divider, and I got lulled into a sense they were a securely bonded pair.
After the male somehow figured out how to breach the barrier, he killed the others after the 3rd spawn, he then came back and killed the female all within 12 hours.

This has happened numerous times, so I usually remove the male to another tank soon after a spawning just to be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store