Ich questions

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You're absolutely right that many animals can do that (hibernate, form spores, go dormant), but ich just isn't one of them. It's being studied constantly because of it's cost to fisheries. In fact, it's genome has been sequence, iirc, so it'd be quite a scientific blockbuster if it could do what almost nobody thinks it can do. I've looked and there are no studies or scientists claiming this protozoan has a dormant stage, whereas there are many that state clearly that it doesn't.

Ich doesn't survive very long under tropical temps without a host (of course, it can do so for weeks at low temps) and it doesn't survive outside of water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I was working as a microbiologist, I was doing a few side studies.
I would take a fish with ich in a small tank, not treat, and after it died, let the tank dry out (not sterilize it) and let it sit a few weeks, in another trial let it sit a few months.
Fill it back up, and add an ich free (presumably) fish, and eventually even after a few months of the tank dried out, the fish would come down with ich.
From these small trials, I theorize that although many ich die, for some reason, a few (maybe only 1) were able to regenerate. I did not publish, because I was being paid for other work, and this was my personal side project.
I believe in most aquaculture studies, such a small detailed experiment was not feasible, and 1 or 2 ich survivors could go unnoticed.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You raise interesting points, but the counterpoint is, then why are others unaware of this?

Ich is one of the world's most destructive parasites among freshwater fish and has been studied dozens (more likely hundreds of times.) The economic impact among fisheries is huge. And the studies of it have already included gene sequencing, and gene expression and genetic comparisons with other parasites. (All easily found through Google Scholar.)

Scientists repeatedly post that there are only 3 stages in it's life cycle and that dormancy is only achieved through extreme low temperatures (below 45F.) (It's possible to use certain chemicals to extend it's lifespan a few extra days.) No one has published that the protozoa can survive outside of water (which would necessarily require a 4th stage), nor has anyone published that it can take a form in water where it will wait dormant for a prey (which would be a 5th stage.) Not only are these both distinct and unknown life forms, but the latter implies an unknown mechanism in the protozoa to sense the presence of prey animals while in a dormant stage so it can emerge and to stay dormant when none are present.

It seems odd that no one knows this, given it's extreme importance, and that no one is aware that one can simply put a dish of ich on a desk, let it dry out, then store it for months until needed. Scientists today are trying to find a way to cryo-freeze ich so it can be stored until needed for testing: why do this when it can be dried out and used?

I heartily encourage you to send your experiences to universities or aquatic societies. Science isn't perfect and your experience may prompt a study under controlled conditions. However, as of now, there are zero published studies that ich survives outside of water or that it has a dormant stage in water.

http://www.journalofparasitology.org/doi/abs/10.1645/0022-3395(2002)088[0041:CTOIMA]2.0.CO;2
http://scholarsresearchlibrary.com/ABR-vol5-iss5/ABR-2014-5-5-11-14.pdf
http://genomebiology.com/2011/12/10/R100
http://journals2.scholarsportal.info/details/01407775/v16i0005/437_imaiasmismm.xml&sub=all
http://www.potiori.com/Ichthyophthirius_multifiliis.html#cite_note-Ostrow-2
http://www.tnfish.org/FishDiseasesParasites_TWRA/files/WhiteSpotDisease.pdf

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Encysting is how a lot of parasites get by. In any ephemeral environment you see this kind of thing. A cyst is a remarkably sturdy biological structure. If you consider that it absolutely resists medication, including copper, until the cysts hatch, it's easy to realize that these are completely enclosed. Diapause and other biological methods exist all over the place for a cyst to persist (yes, I rhymed that) for ages and ages. Tardigrades are probably the best known example of an encysted organism surviving in extremes. Another example is how mosquito eggs remain dry and inactive for entire years, rolling out in phases- those from a single clutch may take 3 or more flood events to all hatch. I suspect a similar system is present in ich. It's tremendously common in parasites to take on a phasing system (I took parasitology in university.) It's why Malaria release from a liver rolls out randomly or sometimes not at all. Biology doesn't really like putting all its eggs in one basket, those strains that do have a tendency to get crapped on when times get tough. In an aqueous environment, those strains from ephemeral streams and ponds would almost certainly need a method of survival in the dry times else the population would simply die off or you'd get instant competition from all your siblings at once- which is bad if the goal is to parasitize and not outright kill off your prey. Ask yourself: Why would ich be an exception when the mechanisms are both cosmopolitan and easily adapted over and over?

Just analogy there from other parasites, you could totally be right but I am actually sceptical that what you've said is completely universal for a cosmopolitan protozoan like ich. Like I said, not a microbiologist but I did do freshwater inverts, zoology and parasitology among other courses that kinda talked about similar things sometimes but weren't necessarily centric to the discussion here.

The thing with this ich I had was that I never actually saw any of the cysts, which might mean it wasn't ich but maybe flukes. That said, why is it within 48 hours of exposure to this bucket did I start to see symptoms again? Nothing had been added for about 6 months prior to the tank. So unless it's from tapwater and coincidence, something is 'fishy' about the timing. Unless flukes survived a month and a half of 3X recommended copper treatment and then randomly start up again. The bucket in question never touched the copper but was used in water changes pre-copper, so again there is some interesting comparisons there.

I guess we will find out- I treated the tank for flukes today. Should know in a few days if symptoms worsen then it is ich.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Encysting is not the issue. People understand the life cycle of ich. It's the proposed dormancy and ability to survive dry conditions that are the issues.

1) To spontaneously emerge in a tank from water that came from a dry bucket (dry for months) requires ich to form spores, which no one has ever seen and published. Cysts are not spores and no studies have claimed they survive outside of water.

2) To spontaneously emerge in a wet tank, where no hosts have lived for months requires ich to form spores OR to go dormant, which is something no one has seen and published. It also requires ich to have an unidentified mechanism to "sense" the presence of and lack of hosts, which no one has ever seen and published.

3) To spontaneously emerge in a wet tank, where hosts have lived for months, requires ich to form spores OR to go dormant AND to have a mechanism to stop being active even in the presence of hosts, which no one has ever seen and published.

My point is that this isn't a brand new, unstudied animal. It's been looked at in extreme detail and under dozens of controlled studies. If it could do these things, it seems odd no one knows. The alternative theory is that these instances weren't ich or they weren't controlled.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think you understand what encysting actually entails. Literally you don't need any other steps. I gave you a rather textbook example of tardigrades forming cysts to survive in vacuum and close to absolute zero, only to break out of the cyst and be completely fine.

To clarify, this is what I am talking about and this is what happens in Ich: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_cyst Note that there is a section on protozoans. While the cyst is more of a developmental one in ich, there is literally no reason why a totally sealed ich cyst (as demonstrated by basic immunity to medications while in the cyst stage) couldn't go through diapause like so many other protozoans can do.

Just so we are on the same page, because I really think you don't understand what it is I am saying. Also, the point of mosquito larvae hatch staggering in the presence of water is a pretty good example of exactly what I am talking about. I am not saying it was present in my tank, I'm saying it was present in the bucket and then hatched as soon as I used the bucket again, which is consistent with dormant cysts which are very common in protozoans.

and yes, you're right not exactly controlled. I am just saying the mechanisms are already biologically in place and it's a rather obvious adaptation for it to have is all. I wonder if anyone has actually looked at the cyst resiliency in any detail.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I don't think you understand what encysting actually entails. Literally you don't need any other steps. I gave you a rather textbook example of tardigrades forming cysts to survive in vacuum and close to absolute zero, only to break out of the cyst and be completely fine.

To clarify, this is what I am talking about and this is what happens in Ich: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_cyst Note that there is a section on protozoans. While the cyst is more of a developmental one in ich, there is literally no reason why a totally sealed ich cyst (as demonstrated by basic immunity to medications while in the cyst stage) couldn't go through diapause like so many other protozoans can do.

Just so we are on the same page, because I really think you don't understand what it is I am saying. Also, the point of mosquito larvae hatch staggering in the presence of water is a pretty good example of exactly what I am talking about. I am not saying it was present in my tank, I'm saying it was present in the bucket and then hatched as soon as I used the bucket again, which is consistent with dormant cysts which are very common in protozoans.
I understand what you are saying.

Some fish can form a casing and live dormant in the sand. It doesn't mean cichlids could do that or that under certain extreme circumstances they might do that. They can't do that. Their DNA doesn't change to adapt to whatever it likes simply because distant genetic cousins can do it. If you had 100,000 cichlids in a lake and slowly removed the water, not one would convert to a dormant sand dwelling fish.

Some protozoa can survive in dry conditions by encysting. It's an evolutionary adaptation that Ich doesn't have. Some protozoa have a dormant stage. It's an evolutionary adaptation that Ich doesn't have.

The issue isn't my understanding as much as the claim that ich can do things that no one has found it can do. Things that are unpublished studies (i.e., testable) or based upon ex post facto events. If you want to link to a study showing that ich can survive under dry conditions for weeks or months or one to show that ich has a dormant stage under tropical conditions, I'd be thrilled to read them.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Ah okay, didn't mean to come off mean or anything just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. Nothing worse than internet slap fighting for 10 pages then realizing you were talking apples vs oranges!

I really don't think it's that big of a stretch for a parasitic protozoan to have a potentially dormant cyst. Again, I wonder if anyone has even looked at cyst resilience or even the potential for the dormancy, or if the "well it doesn't happen" is a byproduct of simply not having observed it in studies that weren't necessarily looking for it. Do you know if it's been directly looked at?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I agree that if ick spores can survive dry out for months and revive upon resaturation, it ought to have been reported by scientists. If it were true, than any contaminated net, bucket, driftwood, rock, WC hose or the handler's hand can potentially pass spores from one place to another, or a breeze can spread the spores. So if one of your tanks is infected, all your other tanks are at risk. This is contrary to my experience.

It's hard for me to believe that Ick can come from the sky or breakout spontaneously. Here is an article that demystifies ick and ick treatment.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Ich.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store