HELP! Very aggressive texas

RadiationNation

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
South Africa
Hi fellow cichlid lovers :p

I'm very new to MFK and reading posts on here have really inspired me to learn more about cichlids.;)
I have just restocked my tank with a texas, 3 salvinis and a Red head cichlid. My fish seemed to get along very well at first but then a couple of hours later i caught my texas chasing my red head and my salvinis around. I'm not talking about a little chase here and there. It's a persistent chase all the time:WHOA:. I had to remove one of my salvinis and put him in my friends tank because he was getting most of the aggression from my texas:chillpill:. Is there any way i could calm him down???:cry:

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Tex is a naturally aggressive cichlid, always will be. Salvini tough in their own field, but dont have the size to compete with an angry Tex. What size of tank do you have these guys in?

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Thats likely a problem right there. A Tex will require that tank all to itself. Territorial aggression is a major component of the CA cichlid character, even when small. Stress from overcrowding and aggression is a big health issue. A fish that has to hide out constantly wont develop well, immune systems weaken from stress. What is this red head fish you also have?

RadiationNation

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
South Africa
Thats likely a problem right there. A Tex will require that tank all to itself. Territorial aggression is a major component of the CA cichlid character, even when small. Stress from overcrowding and aggression is a big health issue. A fish that has to hide out constantly wont develop well, immune systems weaken from stress. What is this red head fish you also have?
I knew what i was getting myself into. But you're right, the aggression is too great and it may cause my smaller fish to hide a lot. The Red head cichlid is also called vieja synspila. They can grow up to 14" (but obviously im going to have to remove him at one point :p). He's pretty chilled in my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store