marble goby trouble

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
using your logic I could say that its cool to have an asian aro in waters 62*, just becuase sometimes the river water gets that cold in asia where the aros' live. NOT!

Yes Soon Hock can be found in the same river as a gold fish, sure it might eat some, but it isn't eating nasty farm grown ick infested feeders, its eating wild, most likely healthy fish, that are getting a good diet in order to provide nutritional value for the goby when it eats it.

but hey, keep your fish on live food, spend thousands of dollars doing it, give them internal parasites and watch them die.

OP, if your Soon Hock isn't eating, try earth worms, live clean healthy feeder fish, feeder shrimp etc. Maybe try making the tank dark too

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
You arent using logic this is logic i have been raising marbled gobys on feeders for 20+ years, i dont care about cost because i can afford it, i havent lost any gobys to internal parisites, have had 2 breeding pairs who ate feeders, and havent had to treat any for feeder related problems, so the logic is marble goby are fine eating feeders. The key to any good diet is variety like ive said on many post live fish,crabs,crayfish,worms,shrimps as well as fresh chopped tilapia and shrimp are the best for these guys. Your logic is i have heard feeder horror storys so many times it has to be true and apply to every fish. Have you ever had a marble goby get internal parisites from eating feeders? Feeders will help this guys fish grow. Also OP females tend to grow much slower and stay smaller also forgot to tell you that.

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
A marbled no, a Water cow yes, in fact several. I've had 3 die from feeders alone.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
A marbled no, a Water cow yes, in fact several. I've had 3 die from feeders alone.
well right now i have 6 marble gobys,1 water cow, 2 bigmouth sleepers, 5 purple spot gudgeons, 2 snakehead gudgeons, 5 pygmy sleepers and 2 peacock gudgeons all eat live feeders. never lost a goby because of feeders in 20 years your lfs must get the feeders from the sewer system lol. OP get that goby some feeders.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
those water cows were probably sick when you got them sounds like your lfs suck. if they sell ick infested feeders they most likely sell sick fish also.i have had 4 water cow in the last 3 years lost one to a stingray and 2 to marble gobys but never a feeder so to each his own. my gobys are thriving on feeders.

Djjon2165

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Buena Park
I doubt feeders killed your fish I'm sure there was other issues

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rjssniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
ohio
i will def. grab some feeders next time i go by the lfs. i dont feed them very often but whenever i have i have not had any trouble from them. i mainly stick to night crawlers because they seem to put the best growth on fish in the past. thanks for the info.

kodzzz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2010
sg
Try installing a powerhead at the bottom of your tank should speed up the metabolism rate.

cyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2012
jurong
Store bought disease infested, parasite carrying feeders are horribad. gold fish and other cold water species are also not the best for them to eat.

IMHO, if you have to feed live, feed them fish that you personally have bred, and hopefully if you are a good aquariaist, you will be able to produce disease and parasite free live feed for your kick ass goby. Honestly I have convicts that I use sparingly as feeders for my fish while i convert them over to pellets/frozen.
please do more on your research and more experiment before commenting.. not all store bought feeder fishes are with parasites. and would anyone feed unhealthy feeder fishes to their prized collections? some hobbists i know quarantine their feeders but most dont. when buying feeders most people will take a closer look to check whether the feeders are heathy or sick.. for the breeding own feeders i believe that only a very small amount of people will do as it is time consuming, waste of space and more expensive than getting feeder fish from the LFS..

btw to TS: marble gobys are quite slow growers... food whether live or dead they will accept it readily just that they are slow growers lol...

cyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2012
jurong
3 died from feeders or bad water conditions from the LFS? if its confirmed that source is the feeders then get ur feeders elsewhere! stop patronizing stores which sell sick fishes or feeders!:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store