DIY filter socks

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi guys
I have a big tank and sump. I have never used filter socks before but want to make one to put at the top of the last baffle where the water overflows into my return pump area of the sump. I have a shelf at the top of this last baffle going the 36" width of the sump. The shelf is about 6" wide and made of egg crate. On the shelf i use a length of filter foam that i change and wash once a week. I want to make a 36" long and about 10" deep sock that i can use in place of the foam. What material do you guys use if making your own filter socks?
Thanks

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
It's cheaper just to buy them.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

I'm not sure if they ship globally, but you can buy them here in the States for anywhere $4-10

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks but not much help to be honest. I need to make it as it needs to have a retangular top to it to fit the shelf. The round ones that you can buy will leav holes inbetween the socks where water will be able to pass without going through the socks.
Anyone else know what material is used to make these things please?
Thanks all

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Most socks are made from either polyester or polypropylene felt, both of which come in different micron ratings (for aquarium use typically 50-200 microns). Polypropylene is a little tougher/stiffer.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Yes mate i know that. I am asking what material people use to make their own?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Yes mate i know that. I am asking what material people use to make their own?
Doubt anyone makes there own due to the cost and locating the material with the correct pore size.

akmzero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Buffalo NY
I know there was a guy on reefcentral who had a template about making his own. Try searching there. If I find it I'll post it.

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
Just a thought but is their a way to modify the shelf to "funnel" or divide the water into different filter socks? Could save you some heartache if it can be done.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store