Favorite dithers

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
I'm a big fan of giant danios for dithers, and they fit your 2-3" spec perfectly

EDIT: sorry, just saw the "no danios."

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I use Redside Dace as dithers in one of my many native tanks and they're very personable, come up to the glass and beg not to mention they have huge mouths for dace, when I first collected them I thought they were salmon fingerlings because of the mouth, some even develop a small Kype! But then those are natives which I wouldn't mix with any of your setups, most other dithers I have aren't very friendly.
Yes!! Actually have red side dace in my native tank and I agree, much more personality than most dithers! In fact I was actually thinking of them when I asked about dither that have more personality, that weren't natives! Black nose/long nose dace have lots of personlity too, but they are territorial with each other so not really dithers!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Because as you know, I'm a bit of a geographical purist, I try to choose fish that would be found with the fish I keep, from their natural habitat.
So for most northern Central Americans, and N American cichlids, I prefer live bearers such as velifora mollies and swordtails, they usually stay near the surface, can grow large enough not to be eaten, also are fast enough, but their constantly produced fry provide snacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb3v0VJTg5c
Astyanax tetras also work, as they get large and are found from southern Mexico southward, but are somewhat nippy, they've chewed the heck out of my ears, when I've snorkeled with them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8GK9ZaJJo
Tetras seem to be the most common fish in S American that accompany cichlids, but oscars will eventually become large enough to polish off all but silver dollars, or the other larger species.
As for an affront to my own geographical puristism, I keep swordtails with my Madagascan Ptychochroms, and they do wonders for keeping cichlid shyness at bay.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes!! Actually have red side dace in my native tank and I agree, much more personality than most dithers! In fact I was actually thinking of them when I asked about dither that have more personality, that weren't natives! Black nose/long nose dace have lots of personlity too, but they are territorial with each other so not really dithers!
Dont get me started on Rhinichthys (black/long nose dace) :). Those things are terrors for their size and relatively small mouth! They pretty much murdered some small yellow perch I used to have (well they were already having swim bladder problems but the dace Weren't helping) and wouldn't take crap for a cutteri cichlid I kept them with. Know that I think about it, they may be the perfect cichlid dithers :ROFL:

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Duane's, yes there is a part of me that really wants to be a geographical purist, but having a larger number of tanks was stressing me out, so I am trying to get down to 3-4, after I build my 700g. Because of that I am combining fish from a couple tanks, so now my only geographically correct tank is my native Wisconsin tank of darters and dace. But since I catch them myself
I am a aware that even they are not totally correct - since even though I caught them all from within 45minutes of my house some species come from different water ways than others. So I'll have to content myself with that as my only biotope. And really the tank I find most interesting that I have currently is the one that ISNT a biotope, so maybe I just don't care as much as a I like to think I do!

So for #1 I am thinking some small barbs like Cherry barbs (would they be big enough to avoid being eaten by ropefish?) and/or some live bearers.

#2 I am leaning toward BA tetras, denisons barbs, and/or swordtails.

#3 I am interested in Bala sharks - I like filament barbs but I don't think they get big enough for my needs. The only SDs I like are Wide Bar Emperor SDs, but at the prices I have seen there is no way I'm getting a group as dithers!

More ideas?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Dont get me started on Rhinichthys (black/long nose dace) :). Those things are terrors for their size and relatively small mouth! They pretty much murdered some small yellow perch I used to have (well they were already having swim bladder problems but the dace Weren't helping) and wouldn't take crap for a cutteri cichlid I kept them with. Know that I think about it, they may be the perfect cichlid dithers :ROFL:
well they are extremely active, pigs, a bit nippy, and a little territorial, but I have never had them kill anything, though if I ever have more than one in tank it seems the underdog one ends up jumping out... But despite that he makes it a pain the get food to my slower darters I love him! When I put my hand in the tank he swims into my cupped hand, nibbling and nipping it like crazy - he doesn't even care if I physically pick him out of the tank in my hand, he still keeps swimming into it as soon as he gets the chance. Overall on the small fish side you can't beat native for personality - never had a tropical fish the same size that even came close in personality to some of my favorite dace, darters, mudminnows, etc.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, and they looks so much better when they are big! I was watching some YouTube videos of some bigger groups of large ones, and they turn out quite good looking!

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Yeah, and they looks so much better when they are big! I was watching some YouTube videos of some bigger groups of large ones, and they turn out quite good looking!
Yeah, I really disliked mine until they began to get big. They would freak out and dart around the tank recklessly whenever the lights would come on in the morning, and their incessant twitching kind of got on my nerves, but after the first year or so, I fell in love with them.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
well they are extremely active, pigs, a bit nippy, and a little territorial, but I have never had them kill anything, though if I ever have more than one in tank it seems the underdog one ends up jumping out... But despite that he makes it a pain the get food to my slower darters I love him! When I put my hand in the tank he swims into my cupped hand, nibbling and nipping it like crazy - he doesn't even care if I physically pick him out of the tank in my hand, he still keeps swimming into it as soon as he gets the chance. Overall on the small fish side you can't beat native for personality - never had a tropical fish the same size that even came close in personality to some of my favorite dace, darters, mudminnows, etc.
Oh personality wise I agree, they're extremely friendly and would nip at my arm hairs during water changes. Out of the 5 I had 3 jumped out and 2 fought each other to death. I may try some longnose again eventually but I'll have to see, I can only imagine how hyper they are when breeding :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store