Dead Bull Shark found along Manchester, Ohio shore

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
there are industrial/nuclear plants all around the great lakes (especially Erie and Michigan) that shoot hot water into the lakes. The water around these places is warm year round and I would assume could support a small bull shark population and/or tropical invasive species

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Its interesting that they don't have full body pic of shark in question. That snout looks odd for a bull shark, suggested a different species. Might be a dumped shark as I don't believe that it swan all way to Ohio via Mississippi River since there are few dams already. Maybe that's why it died because it was a saltwater shark species. Just my theory.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Question is....was this shark has identified properly? They found another shark in same river back in 2010 but in May. They assumed that it was a baby bull shark but they did have a picture of shark in 2010 and it doesn't looks like a baby bull shark. Looks like a dogfish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
thinking someone dumped their shark they didnt want anymore
that's what happened to the shark back in 2010. Makes me wondering if it was same person who's dumping sharks in Ohio River.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I agree the snout does not look like a bull sharks at all. To me looks like it could possibly be a dogfish but a full body shot is needed to get the proper ID

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I agree the snout does not look like a bull sharks at all. To me looks like it could possibly be a dogfish but a full body shot is needed to get the proper ID
Or we can look at a tooth shape to tells us what species. Bull shark tooth should be triangular. The shark in question appeared to be pointy and thin but not triangular.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I agree. I need more pics. The one shown is NOT a bull pup. Looks like a 'Finetooth' (Carcharhinus isodon), which are often sold in the pet trade as a "mini bull shark". Also, I've studied bull pups that were so young that the umbilical was still partially there. 33" (article says 2' 9") is not a year old bull pup (as the article says), it's a runt from that year. That size matches a year old Finetooth.

Yes, bulls go up the Mississippi all the time. Dams stop them from getting too far. There are FW isolated bull populations found through out the world.

I'll see if I can dig out bull pup pics to show the tooth and rostrum shape differences between a real bull and the pic in the article.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I believe there was 20+ dams on Mississippi to Ohio River. I don't believe there was any isolated bull populations in the inland United States nowadays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store