Extreme Tolerance in The World of South American Cichlids

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
It never ceases to amaze me the interesting things that fish do. In this 150G SA biotope tank, a pair of 'rotkeil' Severums and Chocolate cichlids laid eggs about 30 cm (1') apart, the Severums on a small piece of Malaysian driftwood, and the Chocolates on a small rock. Both batches of eggs hatched within a couple of hours of one another, and the Chocolates transfered their hatchlings onto the same piece of driftwood less than 15 cm (6") apart. Both sets of parents are totally calm and peaceful about the situation. I had this happen with two species of Severums. Pairs of efasciatus and notatus spawned on the inside and outside surfaces of the same flower pot. So the eggs were separated just by the thickness of the wall of the pot. Also , two pair of Madagascan cichlids, P. polleni and P. oligacanthus spawned on opposite sides of the same piece of driftwood. There were plenty of other places in the tanks to spawn. But close proximity doesn't seem to phase them. In fact, the male Chocolate seems like he wants to look after both spawns since he situates himself half way between them most of the time.
[video=youtube_share;1XFL4pCDiAo]http://youtu.be/1XFL4pCDiAo[/video]

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
That is so cool! They really are totally fine being so close to one another. Did they all grow up together?
Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
No they didn't. They were all added to this tank as adults. In fact. the Chocolates are an 'odd couple' in that the male is at least 5 years old (just added him about a week ago) and the female is one of two that were put in there because they were being trashed by a pair of Chocolates in another tank. She is only about a year old. They didn't waste any time getting together. An interesting mix.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
I am not surprised that chocolate and severum tolerate and spawn right next to each other. They are the most peaceful SA. Soon you will find them parenting a mixed school of fry as they can't tell them apart. I had no luck with chocolate though as the one I had was too timid, afraid to come out to eat, and finally stressed out to disease and death by only mildly aggressive tankmates.

But I am surprised to hear that Madagascan polleni and obligacanthus can tolerate each other. While I have never had obligacanthus, the one polleni I had was a pyscho that chased every fish in the tank and I had to rehome him.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
No they didn't. They were all added to this tank as adults. In fact. the Chocolates are an 'odd couple' in that the male is at least 5 years old (just added him about a week ago) and the female is one of two that were put in there because they were being trashed by a pair of Chocolates in another tank. She is only about a year old. They didn't waste any time getting together. An interesting mix.
Very interesting. I'm thinking of a pair of rotkeils myself. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I wonder if the fish do this on purpose so there is an extra set of parents guarding the nesting area. All the same really cool.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
That is so amazing. Two of my favorite cichlids and I never would have dreamed that's possible. Thanks for sharing.

There have been theories proposed as to how fish choose when to fight and when to get along (or run.) In this context, the theory might be that all the fish instinctively knew that the one spot was the only proper place to spawn and that their own offspring had a better chance of survival if the parents didn't fight. That could be because they all were peaceful, all the same size, or all equally disinterested in harming the other eggs, or something else along those lines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store