Freshwater Refugium for a 180 gallon GeoPhagus tank

vishwa.J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2014
Sri Lanka
I have a 180 gallon with 6 x Geophagus Altifrons/Surinamensis , 8 x Redline Torpedo Barbs , 4 x Gold Rams and 1x Black Ghost knifefish..
Current filtration is a sump with Ceremic media and bio balls..but it's not wet dry...
I'm planning to keep Java Fern , Anubias and Other low light plants as well..

so my question is , Since I have a small chamber in the sump , is it good if I add some plants there? and maybe some Shrimp as well?
will that make any difference in the efficiency of the filter?

should I directly feed the water from overflow to the refugium area or should I use sponges and stuff for mechanical filtration first and then feed it to the refugium?

It would be great if someone can help me with the design..and Pictures of your setups if someone here has one in their sump :)

if a refugium isn't the best solution , I would like to hear other suggestions too..

thanks in advance :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use refugiums for my freshwater tanks, using both submerged, and emergent plants, and contain gammarus scuds, rishi shrimp, and snails.
The animals help removal of dead plant material, uneaten fishfood, and occasionally are pumped into tanks, providing snacks for the fish. The plants help use up nitrate.
The difference in my system, is I use separate tanks that sit between the main tanks, and the sump.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I would have the water run through some socks and sponges first before entering the refugium. A lot of the detritus will build up fast if it's not mechanically removed first. I currently don't have a refugium anymore but I did on my teef tank and I had it on a reverse light cycle. When the tank lights were on, five light is off and at night when the tank lights are off, the fudge lights are on.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vishwa.J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2014
Sri Lanka
Thank you very much for your replies..

duanes - wow that looks like a serious Nitrate absorber...but I cannot keep Plants that grow outside water..what are the plants you recommend?
I'm not exactly sure what Rishi Shrimp is..But only shrimp I can find here are Red Cherry and Red Crystal..Will they work? I have no Idea about Snails..What kind of snails will not eat shrimp?

Aw3s0m3 - If I run it through Socks and Sponges first , won't the invertebrates in the refuge lose their food?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Rishi are similar to cherry, and reds, and none of the snails seem to bother the shrimp, or vice a versa.
For shallow sumps I have used Crypotcoryne.

below a sump during a water change

vishwa.J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2014
Sri Lanka
Rishi are similar to cherry, and reds, and none of the snails seem to bother the shrimp, or vice a versa.
For shallow sumps I have used Crypotcoryne.

below a sump during a water change
Sweet! I guess I'll go with a refugium....
I was thinking about Java Moss or something like that...

Is Hydrilla any good? I know it's an invasive species in US but here it can be found...
they grow like crazy so I assume they'll do well to reduce nirtates?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Not at all. Fw copepods and other microorganisms will come in already on the plants and they're small enough to actually pass through the tiny holes in the socks and sponges

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store