• Total voters

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Fines are huge, but I have not heard of anybody being penalised. I'll look the other way now and just pretend nothing happened.
We have a large number of threads concerning lfs, importers, and hobbyists that were busted for possion of illegal species. There's also a number of sticky threads in many of MFKs forums concerning people being busted for illegal possession.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
If I had rays, I wouldn't post I was willing to defy any new law in this poll since we have a bunch of police and F&W/DNR folks in MFKs membership.
It is a hypothetical question no need to rain on the fun (as the forum has been rather inactive).

BTW lots more comments then votes.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
If I had rays, I wouldn't post I was willing to defy any new law in this poll since we have a bunch of police and F&W/DNR folks in MFKs membership.
That was my first thought when I started reading this thread. Haha

We have a large number of threads concerning lfs, importers, and hobbyists that were busted for possion of illegal species. There's also a number of sticky threads in many of MFKs forums concerning people being busted for illegal possession.
Yeah, we see them pop up a lot on here and I see them locally. Seems like over the past year, illegal animals coming out of the Keys have been a hot topic in the public aquarium world. Several places shut down, hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and prison time handed out all over. Not ever worth taking or housing a black market animal.

As for me, I'd identify my animals to local wildlife officials and ask what the right process was to maintain my own stock. If you work with them, they work with you. If there is no viable option for me to keep animals after a certain ban, I'd look to the zoo/aquarium world or other MFK keepers who have a track record of good husbandry with the specific animal. Good homes are out there for all animals under human care, you just have to find them.

Earlier this month, I shut down my main shark display. I had a couple of weeks to relocate several hundred animals. I sent them as far away as Missouri in order to insure a good life long home for them.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
That was my first thought when I started reading this thread. Haha

Yeah, we see them pop up a lot on here and I see them locally. Seems like over the past year, illegal animals coming out of the Keys have been a hot topic in the public aquarium world. Several places shut down, hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and prison time handed out all over. Not ever worth taking or housing a black market animal.

As for me, I'd identify my animals to local wildlife officials and ask what the right process was to maintain my own stock. If you work with them, they work with you. If there is no viable option for me to keep animals after a certain ban, I'd look to the zoo/aquarium world or other MFK keepers who have a track record of good husbandry with the specific animal. Good homes are out there for all animals under human care, you just have to find them.

Earlier this month, I shut down my main shark display. I had a couple of weeks to relocate several hundred animals. I sent them as far away as Missouri in order to insure a good life long home for them.
HAHA I understand what you and oddball are saying but if a ban happened and they wanted to enforce it they could just as easily click on the ray forum and investigate anyone posting. So is your answer not to post?

and to your second point... there are homes to be found for the rarer stuff but what about all the Pacu and RTC? or those poor fish in england from the monster tank that had to be shut down do to expense?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It wouldn't be the police. It would be F&W officers just like the multiple vendors and members from this site that have opened their doors to such surprises before.

BTW, the federal snakehead ban had no grandfathering clause. All SHs in possession were to be either euthanized by their owners or taken to vets to be euthanized. MD was the only state to maintain that dwarf tropical species still be allowed.
You sure? Because I've heard of reports that any snakeheads that were grandfathered when the ban took the effect. I'm sure the last grandfathered snakehead has died a long time ago.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I do not think there were any grandfathered snakeheads... if this were true I am fairly certain there could still be legal snakeheads in the us (which there is not) .
The ban was 10+ years ago so I doubt there are any grandfathered snakeheads that is still alive.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
You sure? Because I've heard of reports that any snakeheads that were grandfathered when the ban took the effect. I'm sure the last grandfathered snakehead has died a long time ago.
Remember rocky the snakehead? He had him before the ban and went through a bunch of hoopla before they had him apply for a special permit to keep him due to media pressure.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
The ban was 10+ years ago so I doubt there are any grandfathered snakeheads that is still alive.
I wouldnt doubt Oddball and I am sure large snake heads can live longer then 10 years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store