tank build and move question.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
SO, guys please help,, so i have a 125 gallon for around 3-4 years..currently i am building a 300+ but i don't want my 125 to go wasted, so I'm using it as a sump, so what do i do with my fish in the meantime? .. do you think guys think i could put the fish in a 30 gallon trash can?.. those from rubbermaid for garbage ,, and put maybe a fx5 in there and a airstone?..the other question is that if i want to use the old filter to cycle the new tank,, what should i do with the fishes in the trash can?.. i think they will die soon.. without a filter or BB of any kind,,,, anyone can help?.. fishes are ,, arowana, blood parrot, marble motoro ,NTT ,,thanks all!!:grinno::grinno::grinno::grinno:

Does anyone read his 1st post then answer Questions. Only way to do it is buy a stock tank put all fishes, seeded filter or filters into stock tank..let that run as temporary holding setup.. then glue and TEST fill sump of 125 silicon won't cure with 2 hour time.. everything's goes well and finish setting the 300. Place all fishes back from stock tank, seeded filter,and water into new 300 gal setup with filter's seeded BB into new sump. I thought about not using stock tank but go buy a kiddy pool from Kmart or toy r us but other Mfkers said those pools leech out chemicals so that won't work. Hope all fish r truethfully that size cuz even a large commercal garbage cans won't fit those fishes. Good luck with move. All this I would guess takes at less 1 week time.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
I guess i'm missing what the big issue is here. This 300+ gallon tank that you are building, how are you planning to connect it to the sump? Will it have a built in overflow like a ready made reef tank or a DIY pvc overflow? Once the larger tank is built and silicone is properly cured, you should be able to transfer over the fish, filter, water and substrate to the new tank. The water level in the new tank will be low due to the size difference. As long as you don't fill up the new tank to where water is spilling over the overflow you should be able to run that tank on the old filter for a while and take as much time as you need converting the 125 to a sump. It won't be much different than doing a large water change since you're basically just adding new water to the old. make sure to add water conditioner before adding new water and match the water temp as much as possible and everything should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store