Why Arent My Carpintis Breeding?

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Okay so ive had a male and female carpintis since they were both about an inch long. Now the male is 4 inches and the female is about 3.5 inches. For about a little over 2 months now the pair has been showing a lot of interest in eachother and big pits are dug all over the tank. But no eggs are ever laid! Whats going on here? Ive seen green texas breed at like 2 inches before!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406096211.233904.jpg

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
He's probably too shy to make the first move. All the while she thinks he is just not that interested.

I know too much about that unfortunately.

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
It's not unheard of for a male carpinitis not being ready to breed at 4 inches but shouldn't be far off especially if they are starting to pair off and dig pits.

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Feed them well for a week or two, supplementing with live foods like red wiggler worms. Then, do a large water change (75%) with cooler water and see if that will trigger the spawn. Usually works pretty well for me.

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Feed them well for a week or two, supplementing with live foods like red wiggler worms. Then, do a large water change (75%) with cooler water and see if that will trigger the spawn. Usually works pretty well for me.
Ok cool I'll give that a shot next watcher change. I usually feed them a combo of nls pellets, bloodworms, mysis, plankton, ect. Pretty
Varied diet, but i always keep the water at 80 degrees. How much of a temp drop can i do without stressing them out?

Zion and Cichlids is all

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2012
Baltimore,MD
I don't know about the 75% wc but a Good 50% and feed them blood worms for a week should do the trick. Also,try adding a flower pot as well so they can feel more secure. Works for me all the time:).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store