adonis pleco and other carnivore plecs in an acrilic tank?

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
hey all I can maybe get a hold of a 48x48x25 acrylic tank for a far deal. and was woundering if I need to be conserned about the fish eatig it and doing anything other than cosmetic damage to it. stock I want to keep is going to be. fish growing out now are 4 black belts, 1 Adonis plec, and a chocolate albino common, now I want to add a clown knife and a goldie sunshine/ and a leopard catus plec. what u all think:grinno:

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Tough call, mostly it's Panaques that damage acrylic. I'd be lying if I told you others could never damage it. Of the ones listed, I'd say the albino chocolate would be the most likely to suck on the sides.

I've never own acrylic so I can't say from experience.

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
yeah me nether there are a few options out there in the area for me. I was more conserned about structural damage leaks and what not if it is minor scratches I will deal with it. I may not ever have this opertunity for this big of aquarium. also though about adding a few pbass, maybe an aro. any other Ideas few weeks out from funding it.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
If you look through the posts there have been others posting on this concern...or wait for others to post. But since the crash a week ago it has been very slow here in the pleco section.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Scroll down the Pleco forum about 10-20 topics below this one, there's one titled "Pleco's in an acrylic tank". I'm glad I read cause I almost put 3 big Panaques in a new acrylic tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
When it comes to the adonis I think you're fine. I've kept 2 adonis in an acrylic tank and from my experience, they prefer to stay on the driftwood rather than suck on the sides of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
awesome doing it up hope its till available when I got the funds 4 weeks or so. going to filter it with a 2 rena canister filters one in opousing corners. stocked with a verity of c/a cichlids. 4 black belts, 2 salvini, 2 cons, 2 fire mouth, 3 nickies, 2 pearsi though these may get there own tank had to give them there own for now as my bb pick on them, 1 Adonis, 1 chocolate alby com., fish I would like to add are clown knive, magnum plec, cactus plec, and a gibby, as far as cichlids I think 1 pair rainbows, 1 pair jds, 1 pair carpintis, and maybe some sijaca. was also thinking a huge school of sailfin molleys

hobby101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 29, 2012
I have an Adonis in a 180g tank. Have not noticed any damage to the acrylic due to the pleco. Most of my scratches are due to the mag float magnetic cleaner even after I put microfiber towel and both sides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store