Breeding Ancistrus

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've got a 20 tall I'm hoping to set up soon that I'm going to breed some Ancistrus in. The filtration will be a seeded sponge filter rated for a 50 plus as many water changes as it takes to keep quality perfect. I do want to make a few bucks though so I'm looking for a strain or color variant that'll sell reasonably well such as super red or green dragon. However I don't want them to be so uncommon that LFSs are scared to buy them. So I do have a few questions?

1) What is a good make to female ratio? And how many of each as adults in a 20 tall!

2) What's the best temperature to keep them at to breed?

3) Are there any special things I have to do (ex changing water) to get adults to breed?

4) What's the best foods to feed adults normally and what's the best to get them to breed?

5) What's the best thing to feed the fry?

6) What's the best substrate and decor?

7) What's the best strain that'll sell regularly but will still make some nice money?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm hoping to get back into plecos with this project, for awhile I was getting really interested in plecos but then my lemon drop BN died from heater burns and my super red longfin BN got eaten by my asian bumblebee cat so I kind of got out of plecos for a while since now I'm just down to my good old gibbiceps.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
1 male to 1-3 females. Need a tight cave for the male. Feed zucchini and green beans. Temperature 75-78 degrees (F). Bare tank is easiest. Purple with yellow polka dots sells readily. Just kidding.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks! So would 1 make and 2 females be to much, not enough, or what! How many could I have of each?

Divinehammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2012
Sherwood park Alberta Canada
3 females to 1 male is the golden ratio for them, and lots of tight fitting caves, the more the better, I personally keep 50 of them in my 90 gallon, most are females with about 9 being males.

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
I had a blue eyed in a 20 high tank it was just 1 female and one male they had no special treatment for breeding and also I didn't provide a cave. They still bred for me. BN's are normally regarded as the Rabbits of the pleco's world. So find a puddle outside toss a pair in there and watch them breed lol. Kidding aside your best bet for trying to make some cash is learning how to ship. That way you can sell the more pricey varieties and not have to take a small amount of money for your time in breeding them by selling them to a LFS.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
1) What is a good make to female ratio? And how many of each as adults in a 20 tall!

2) What's the best temperature to keep them at to breed?

3) Are there any special things I have to do (ex changing water) to get adults to breed?

4) What's the best foods to feed adults normally and what's the best to get them to breed?

5) What's the best thing to feed the fry?

6) What's the best substrate and decor?

7) What's the best strain that'll sell regularly but will still make some nice money?
Hey Sean, I've been working with a few strains lately so If you want some unusual ancistrus you know who to call :)
To answer your questions:
1) I keep mine in trios except for the huacamayos wich are doing fine as just a pair
2) 78-80
3) Add a little protien in their diet and keep the water clean and you should be golden
4) I feed mine fresh zuchini, nls thera A+, and tilapia filet on occasion
5) The fry go nuts for algae wafers and my home made gel food
6) Dont put in substrait so you can easily vacuum out the poop, put in lots of driftwood, caves, and floating plants. Give them lots of hiding spots and caves so they feel secure
7) I'd say calicos or super reds, they go for allot and are some of the prettiest. Pucallpa golds, green dragons, and blue eyes are also very nice
I keep my groups in 20 longs and 20 highs except for the huacamayos wich are a dwarf ancistrus, my pair does fine in a 10 gallon with some goodeid fry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store