koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Good points.
Thanks man. When Jeff sent me the pics we where on the phone and I ran through planetcatfish to see if I could find anything similar but he had done the same thing prior to sending me the pics and couldn't find anything. We both agree though that the head looks very much like Pterodoras Granulosus. The major differences between these guys and the Pterodoras are the big spots on the dorsal surface and ventral coloration, regional variant perhaps??? Who knows? All I know is it's always exciting getting a possible new species or color variant in the hobby.

Rhinodoras? Sub type need better pics

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I agree the coloration is very much like a Rhinodoras but Rhino's tend to run on the small side and these guys look to get pretty big. Also the spots are larger in these specimens then most Rhino's in my opinion and the face structure also seems to be different. I asked Jeff about getting more pics but it might not be possible as he needs to rely on the supplier to get more.

I'll take six please
That's what I'm sayin'! :thumbsup:

I think by the roundness of the adults and the mouth shape I'm leaning towards bacu or Pterodoras granulosus. Not 100% though
Both Jeff and I where thinking the same thing as far as head shape goes but what about the coloration differences? The large spot pattern instead of mottled appearance of Granulosus and yellow coloration on the ventral surface. As I suggested in my response to krich are you thinking a regional color variant of Granulosus?

Hope you don't mind use of the pic mike_sema it's just one of the best pics of Granulosus I've ever seen and shows that even though Granulosus is generally mottled some juvenile individuals get some large spotting.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
My original thought was buca. I went through all 95 Doradidae on planet catfish and that still appears to be the closest.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1009651&d=1390852685&thumb=1[/IMG]
Hope you don't mind use of the pic mike_sema it's just one of the best pics of Granulosus I've ever seen and shows that even though Granulosus is generally mottled some juvenile individuals get some large spotting.
I don't mind people using my pics at all. I am with Oddball on that this deff looks like a regional variation of P. granulosus. I think once in hand someone will have a better idea.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
My original thought was buca. I went through all 95 Doradidae on planet catfish and that still appears to be the closest.
I agree, for the most part Granulosus/Bacu or the other Pterodoras does seem to be the closest looking of the Doaradidae. Though I must admit I didn't really think of the other Pterodoras till TBTB mentioned it.

It could be a regional variant of P. granulosus. There have been other interesting variants within the species.

View attachment 1027009
Thanks Phil for the suggestion and especially for the Albino Granulosus pic forgot those beauties are out there, rare but out there.

I don't mind people using my pics at all. I am with Oddball on that this deff looks like a regional variation of P. granulosus. I think once in hand someone will have a better idea.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks Mike I always feel weird using other peoples pics. I had hoped that since your pics where watermarked you wouldn't mind. If/When they come in I'm hoping to pick up a couple so well get some better pics then.

Pterodoras has been my thought all along. I think granulosus or, since less than half of SA fishes have been described to date, an undescribed Pterodoras may be possible. I cannot discount Pterodoras rivasi http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=871
I hadn't considered rivasi till you mentioned good suggestion. According to the supplier these guys grow up to 20 inches so between that and the limited rivasi pics and their poor quality it very well could be rivasi. Which would be awesome as we'd have a slightly more manageable sized Pterodoras.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Get the darn fish, already, Kolt!!:):)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
lol.... and dam jeff for living in usa... stupid england apart from channa and asian aro we get nothing!-)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
lol.... and dam jeff for living in usa... stupid england apart from channa and asian aro we get nothing!-)
You get Clarias species don't you? They're one of my top wanted to keep fish that're illegal in the US.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yeah but they are common here like rtc, people always moving em on!-) you have top grade importers like rapps, conkal and coa... and cool hybrids... love them rtc x marmoratus..... and rare doradaie uuurgh lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store