Are pure Rays a thing of the past?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I think that it is really going to boil down to a persons honesty. If everyone is dishonest then we will turn this great hobby that we all love into just a bunch of lies. I think a person should have integrity but already in this hobby I have found people who want to lie about what they have or what they are selling and honestly that's sad. I hate when I find people like that but what can you do? You can't change them. If someone wants to lie they are going to lie but I guess that's life even though it's terrible we will never be able to avoid people who want to be dishonest and lie about what they have. This is why I think it's so important to make friends and build good relationships in the hobby so people are wanting and willing to be honest. I would never lie about what I have or am selling and I don't think anyone else should either!

I am just really interested to see where things go with the hobby when the hybrid craze simmers down. Like what will happen then for us? Will we start trying to bring back pure rays or try to breed pure genes out of hybrids?

Also what happens when we start breeding the craziest of the hybrids to the craziest of the hybrids? What will we do then? What will this melting pot of all the genes do then? How would we ever breed anything specific? It could literally become just a crap shoot like we breed two rays and have zero idea of what any of the pups will turn out? Is that a bad thing though?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
That sir is my biggest issue with hybrids... the misrepresentation of them. I understand the appeal of something different and appreciate how good looking some of these hybrids are.. but ... all ray keepers know Rays change over there life and these hybrids are even worse. SO if someone wants to buy a leo and gets a hybrid leo look a like... that is how it will become an issue.
That's when you need to trust the person your buying from

At this present time not many of the higher grade rays are buying imported
Rays like pearl marble Henlei Leo p14 are all being captive bred and breeders want to keep a good reputation as selling rays is getting hard now that's why prices are crashing so it's not in a breeders interest to rip people off

I have seen bd prices as lot as £300 in the UK and Europe 500 euros so hybrid prices are also very cheap
I can't see bd or other pure blood prices dropping any lower so people will start paying more for hybrids to get something different

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jade Dragon

Feeder Fish
Dec 28, 2014
New Zealand
Interesting topic and discussion.
One of the biggest issues I've seen as a 20yr plus goldfish farmer/breeder, has been the demise of certain breeds because of difficulty in keeping/breeding and a low return on investment. Hobbyists keep some going but long term this has shown to be unreliable in keeping some breeds going.
The big hurdle for the ray industry is the keeping of pure bloodline species and not having reduced natural vitality from successive inbreeding causing issues. As long as breeders of a natural line continue to out cross with others who have similar stock no problem if the gene pool is wide enough.
Otherwise 'hybrid' crosses will win over.

Love a top quality hybrid but a good quality specimen of natural genes is always going to be my pick in a breeding program and as a long term keeper to keep that breed going for cross breeding with hybrids to keep their vigor and temperament right.

1st posting on a new path I hope to go down breeding some rays...... one day....... just some thoughts:)

rayrayray

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
uk
The look on hybrids has certainly changed,i remember 7-8 years ago when i used to have a few leoxhens people used to turn there nose up at them,everyone wanted pure,for the main reason they was very hard to find,now they are very easy to obtain people are looking for something a little different than what the guy next door has,i think it's a different challenge to breeders also,if you have bred all the rays pure it's nice to try and produce the perfect hybrid.
pure will never be a thing of the past but good hybrids are now certainly side by side with them,the taboo is long gone.

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
Well, here in Brazil , I was intending to get a pair of leos. I was amazed to find out that they are being sold for 3000 USD each- wild caught, as there are no comercial breeders here. And they would go for exportation only. Even when I asked for a pair, they said no, only for exportation.
I doubted that price and said leos are much cheaper in Europe, for instance. They answered they wouldn' t sell for less than that, and those rays are for Asia.
That fact makes think that there are still place for pure bloodlines, and even to wc rays.Maybe the market is a little bit different in different places of the world.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store